Cobb Accessport Tuner for 08 Forester XT (fuel efficiency?) - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine Management, Tuning and Datalogging
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Cobb Accessport Tuner for 08 Forester XT (fuel efficiency?)

I'm in the process of deciding if I want to purchase an '08 Forester XT and I noticed that Cobb has an Accessport Tuner with a "fuel efficiency" tuning map for the 08 XTs...

Does anyone have any personal experience with the mpg gain using the fuel efficiency map?

Will using a Cobb AP on my '08 XT void the Subaru warranty?

Thanks!
monikersupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Sports XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Search "cobb economy map" and there is a ton of discussion, here's a few to get you started:
Cobb Tuning - Economy Map?
COBB AP fuel economy map??

The answer to your second question is technically yes, Subaru can tell if you have used an AP and can deny warranty coverage because of it. That said, it depends on what needs to be fixed, the dealership and your relationship with them. Many people have gotten things fixed under warranty while using an AP.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

smooth906 : Thanks for the response.

I noticed that for the Cobb APs there is a map that you can use to return the controller to the "stock" tuning... do most people use this map before bringing their Forester back to the dealer for maintenance?
monikersupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by monikersupreme View Post
smooth906 : Thanks for the response.

I noticed that for the Cobb APs there is a map that you can use to return the controller to the "stock" tuning... do most people use this map before bringing their Forester back to the dealer for maintenance?
People usually either do that (completely unmarry it) or put placards/labels in places. See my thread as to what may happen when you don't.

Dealer flashed over my Cobb AP stage 2 map!
Old 02-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 19 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by monikersupreme View Post
Will using a Cobb AP on my '08 XT void the Subaru warranty?

Thanks!
If your dealership goes by the book, it will eliminate any powertrain coverage. This includes the engine, the transmission, the axles, likely the wheel bearings, and the rear diff (as well as the front and center diffs)

Even if you "flash it back to stock" the dealership can easily tell it has been flashed. The select monitor can read the ECU and tell if the ROM has ever been overwritten, and how many times it has been overwritten. You dont even need the select monitor. There is a free app on the internet that you can put into a palm pilot or laptop that can tell you if its ever been flashed.

As for will YOUR dealership give you warranty problems, we cant say. Some dealerships warranty crazy things. Others deny warranties on bone stock cars, based on tire wear (claiming it indicates abusive driving)

Personally, here is what I always tell people.

Buy it, drive it a month or so to see if there are any problems with the motor/transmission. If there arent, there likely arent going to be. So mod away and forget about the warranty. If you do what most people do (stage 2 or thereabouts) then from a reliability standpoint its virtually unchanged from stock. SO do it and ENJOY YOUR CAR! :D
Integrity Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester, 2.5XT

Hi Folks,

I have a 2009 Forester XT. The 2.5L turbo engine is suppose to deliver 230 HP and based on the performance I have experienced, I have no reason to doubt the figure.

A friend (who services Subaru) mentioned that the engine can be tuned to deliver significantly more power (up to 50HP) - simply by hooking up to a laptop with appropriate software and changing settings! In addition, apart from having more power, I should see slightly better mileage.

Is this true??

DavidM

DavidM
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 19 reviews

You wont get anywhere near 50whp out of tuning alone.

But yes, if you KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING you can use a laptop, a $170 cable, a wideband A/F setup, and pick up @20hp, and an extra 1 maybe 1.5mpg.
50hp is going to take a downpipe and tune.

There are base maps out there, but none for your car yet, and it will likely be a while until there are 08WRX base maps (which is what your 09 FXT would use) out there. Even then, you are putting your faith in a base map made on someone elses car, with limited testing, and an unknown skill level. Now dont get me wrong, there are some VERY good people with some VERY good "off the shelf" base maps. But without knowing who is who, its entirely possible that you will spend some time scratching your head.

As far as you yourself making the changes, you really need to know what you are doing if you want to make the changes without potentially breaking things (well, breaking pistons). You also need proper gauges, Boost and wideband AF are the minimum, EGT wouldnt be a bad idea either.

If you can find a base map made by someone good, then all it comes down to is installing the program on your laptop, getting the cable, downloading the definitions and flashing the map onto your car. Then watch your boost gauge or datalogs to make sure you arent crazy overboosting.

Which is why many people opt for the AP. Plug it in, punch a couple buttons, there ya go. It will function as a boost gauge, and although I HIGHLY recommend a boost gauge on ANY turbocharged car the minute you mod it AT ALL, you can at least plug it in, and look at your boost levels.

The other problem will be is you are in Jamaica. 99% of the open source guys are in the US, so getting ECU definitions for your vehicle will be tough, Its possible that you would use the same as the EDM (european model) FXT, so if there are EDM 08 WRX base maps out there, you may be in luck. But again, there arent yet. This doesnt mean there wont be, just not now, and likely, it will be a while, as the USDM cars get priority (since the big OS guys are in the US)

I dont even know if the AP is workable for your FXT yet either :(
Can you find out if your FXT uses a USDM spec ECU/emissions/engine?
Integrity Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester, 2.5XT

Thanks for the info! The guy that sold me the car (works at the local Subie dealer) is a friend and will be able to tell me the spec engine I've got - perhaps it's implicit in the engine no. So, I'll get back to you on that.

In the mean-time, I'll enjoy the horses I have and keep a watch in this forum for the available engine mod's.

Thanks again,
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integrity Performance View Post
The other problem will be is you are in Jamaica. 99% of the open source guys are in the US, so getting ECU definitions for your vehicle will be tough,
This is incorrect. There's no priority in definition creation for USDM v. EDM/JDM/ADM - if a new ROM is submitted before the next definition update, it will be added regardless of country of origin. It will also have full support regarless (i.e. USDM does NOT have more table support than non-USDM). It is true that there are more open source tuners in the U.S. (it seems), but a user could check with their local shops and see if they tune with OS if they don't want to tune themselves. IIRC, Cobb only provides USDM AP and JDM AP (through some other company).
merchgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine Management, Tuning and Datalogging