Transmission overheat? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Forester S
Unhappy Transmission overheat?

On my way up to my second year of college, my tranny starts leaking/smoking . So I pulled over checked the fluid level and it was at the "hot" full dipstick level and drove it to school slowly and it was fine. Also coming out of a stop, the rear diff makes like clicking noise until you get moving.

Any advice or things i should look for? im probably gonna take itt to the local subaru dealer here in flagstaff once my dad gets here this weekend

4eat w/full exhaust & 1000 grinds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

bumpity, i would really like some info

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 04:47 PM
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X
Did you check the level with the engine running. Where was the leak at on the tranny?

It would be hard to say for certain the tear differential was making that noise. Noise travels through the whole drivetrain. Any fluid on the ground? Are the cooling hoses for the tranny intact? Did smoke come out of the dipstick tube when you pulled the dipstick? Not a lot to go on from your post.

Be careful what you wish for.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Did you check the level with the engine running. Where was the leak at on the tranny?

It would be hard to say for certain the tear differential was making that noise. Noise travels through the whole drivetrain. Any fluid on the ground? Are the cooling hoses for the tranny intact? Did smoke come out of the dipstick tube when you pulled the dipstick? Not a lot to go on from your post.
yes i checked the fluid with it running, and there was a good amount of fluid on the ground and it looked like it was leaking more on the passenger side. and smoke did not come out of the dipstick tube and from what i could tell all the hoses were intact

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.