Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Transmission Issue

('03-'05) 
3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  koski19 
#1 ·
Morning Guys...2004 Subaru Forester non turbo with an automatic transmission and 194,000 miles clocked.

Problem: The other day I was at an intersection ready to turn right. When traffic opened up I hit the gas to get into the traffic. The transmission spun as if in neutral and then engaged and the car moved into traffic. Anyone have any clues as to why the transmission that was in drive would act like it was in neutral when given throttle to move forward?

I change out the trans fluid (pan) and filter every other oil change. Here's the last Blackstone Comments:

JEFF: Amended report. You mentioned being doubtful that ATF had even been changed out until you started your drain-and-fill regimen. Considering the steady improvements we're seeing, we think you're probably right. What you're doing is working though, so keep it up. Copper is still twice universal averages so it got a highlight, but you'll probably see it drop again next time. That goes for the other metals too. No moisture or in-solubles were present. Since the trans is shifting well, you can probably go a little longer on
the next drain and fill if you want.

Next month I plan to change out all the fluid including the Torque Converter and install a new filter. Has anyone used a synthetic ATF? What are you guys running in your automatics?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Jeff

See less See more
#2 ·
Synthetic, Dino oil, doesn't matter. I personally like the Valvoline MaxLife ATF for its cold weather performance (lowest pour point of any mainstream brand ATF). The 4EAT is a very sturdy transmission, and the type of fluid doesn't affect performance much at all.

What you are describing is the transmission slipping. First thing to do is to check the fluid level. Next, is the filter your replacing the spin on filter? If so, make sure you are using an OEM Transmission filter. Other filters are actually oil filters that fit, but don't have the correct flow/bypass specs.

#4 ·
Synthetic, Dino oil, doesn't matter.

What you are describing is the transmission slipping. First thing to do is to check the fluid level. Next, is the filter your replacing the spin on filter? If so, make sure you are using an OEM Transmission filter. Other filters are actually oil filters that fit, but don't have the correct flow/bypass specs.
This. I personally I personally ha ve not seen any difference in wear metals or viscosity shear between syn and non syn ATF on 3 previous vehicles.

Subaru HP is a step above your normal ATF but I doubt it will make a difference.

Use only a Subaru AT Filter The Subaru filters only a small amount constantly vs full filtration (which results in lower flows/pressures) for after market ones.

#3 ·
Problem: The other day I was at an intersection ready to turn right. When traffic opened up I hit the gas to get into the traffic. The transmission spun as if in neutral and then engaged and the car moved into traffic. Anyone have any clues as to why the transmission that was in drive would act like it was in neutral when given throttle to move forward?
That's a pretty common thing for the 4EAT, I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as it only happens occasionally and briefly. You might try Subaru's ATF-HP (the fluid required for the 06 and up models). It seems to really help with those little quirks of the 4EAT. Also, at that mileage some Trans-X wouldn't hurt.

#9 ·
Thanks for your help guys. Saturday, I flushed the transmission and added the trans-x. Normally, I use Lucas products by thought I would use the trans-x as recommended. I also installed a new filter. Took the car out and the transmission responded better than I would have thought. So far so goos. I wrote up a "How to" article and posted it for anyone who would like to do the complete flush. Thanks Again

jeff

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.