Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Transmission Fluid & Filter

('09-'13) 
20K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  sicko 
#1 ·
About to hit 65k on my 2010 with AT, wondering if anyone had the part number to the OEM transmission filter, and also if there was any specific type of ATF the transmission requires? Is there also a OEM Gasket part number for the oil pan or do I just use liquid gasket? And last question how much fluid do I need? First time doing this on a subaru, so any pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
Don't bother with the filter. Its not worth the effort. Periodic drain and fills are fine. Drain it on the level and about 12 oz. short of a gallon will come out. Put the same amount back in. If you drain it cold you will be good bc you will put 'cold' fluid back in. There is a crushable gasket that will stick to the bolt. I think its identical to the crushable one on the engine pan. Although they are intended to be replaced. In my long experience its not necessary. You can use it over. Make sure you go with the Subaru HP ATF.

#9 ·
They're basically right in line with one another. If you know where the drain plug for the engine oil is, the trans drain plug is about 8 inches further back towards the rear of the vehicle. I'm totally guessing on the 8 inches number, but once you look under the vehicle you'll quickly see that there are two very similar bolts right in line with each other. The one towards the front is the engine oil, the one farther back is the transmission oil.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.