('09-'13) Transmission Fluid - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester
Transmission Fluid

My '10 Forester is over 30k miles and I want to do a drain/fill of transmission fluid. Last time I was at the dealer I asked for 4 quarts of fluid. Once I got home, I realized they gave me regular Subaru transmission fluid. I went back, and they verified in the computer and with the mechanic that my car had standard Subaru transmission and not the HP fluid. They were insistent it was not the HP fluid, and using it would cause damage.

From what I've read, it definitely takes HP fluid. I just want to verify this 100% before I go back in a third time and tell them they're wrong. I have a 4-speed ATX.

-Matt

2010 Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 07:50 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 4eat
Every Forester post 2006 is supposed to use Subaru-hp atf. It should be in your manual and/or maintenance booklet. I recommend you find the page it is on, and show it to them.

2005 Obsidian Black Pearl XT w/4eat
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by guroove View Post
Every Forester post 2006 is supposed to use Subaru-hp atf. It should be in your manual and/or maintenance booklet. I recommend you find the page it is on, and show it to them.
On my 2005 the Subaru service dept shows on the invoice that they used ATF-HP fluid during my 90K service. I had thought it was good for even older transmissions and in fact sometimes rejuvenated cranky ones.

1998 Forester ATF

Keepin It Forever....
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

That's what I figured. I'll force the HP fluid out of them and not go back. Definitely don't want to take my car anywhere where they are persistent in making me use the wrong fluid.

The "funniest" line was the guy telling me using HP fluid will also damage the differential since it shares fluid with the transmission.

-Matt

2010 Limited
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 12:34 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt R View Post
My '10 Forester is over 30k miles and I want to do a drain/fill of transmission fluid. Last time I was at the dealer I asked for 4 quarts of fluid. Once I got home, I realized they gave me regular Subaru transmission fluid. I went back, and they verified in the computer and with the mechanic that my car had standard Subaru transmission and not the HP fluid. They were insistent it was not the HP fluid, and using it would cause damage.

From what I've read, it definitely takes HP fluid. I just want to verify this 100% before I go back in a third time and tell them they're wrong. I have a 4-speed ATX.

Same thing happened to me. Parts man and two mechanics waiting in parts dept. insisted that my MY09 took Dexron. The one mechanic said I could use Hp but I would have to flush out old fluid first!

They also said 90-140 for differentials!

Apparently this dealerships parts people and mechanics have not read any updates or checked parts manuals in years! I wonder how many cars they have used the wrong fluids on?

I did not buy anything there, but instead went to the dealer a little further away that bought the car from. Their parts man knew his Subies.

2009 Forester 2.5x AT Silver Steel
Premium pkg.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Transmission: Manual
I find it amusing that a lot of people on this forum don't like the dealer closest to them and prefer to drive to one that is second furthest away :)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 01:21 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmat View Post
On my 2005 the Subaru service dept shows on the invoice that they used ATF-HP fluid during my 90K service. I had thought it was good for even older transmissions and in fact sometimes rejuvenated cranky ones.
Yes, this is correct. The dealer that the OP brought his car to had it backwards. The newer stuff won't do any damage, but using the older fluid in a newer car can be bad. They really should know this. I would call SOA and tell them that this dealer is recommending wrong fluids.

2005 Obsidian Black Pearl XT w/4eat
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 12:24 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: CVT
Funny I stumbled upon this post. Same thing happened to me today. went in to by ATF-HP and they insisted it was just regular Sub ATF. I argued a second and went out to get the manual. there it was Subaru ATF, or Desumsu? ATF-HP. I still got the HP stuff for my 2010 X and now I don't know which to use.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: LL Bean (4EAT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2point5awd View Post
I find it amusing that a lot of people on this forum don't like the dealer closest to them and prefer to drive to one that is second furthest away :)
Often for good reasons.

One's choice of dealer is usually not dependent on the distance. I bought from a dealer in another city 125 miles away, because they had the color I wanted and a much better price. For my servicing dealer, I did not want to go to the closest dealer, as he seemed displeased that I had not bought my Forester from him. So I changed to the second closest dealer.

At 15K I thought I would do an ATF drain and refill and bought 4 quarts of ATF from that second closest dealer. When I got home I realized it was not HP and had make a long drive across my city to return it. The parts counter person had no idea of the difference in Subaru ATFs. I wondered if the mechanics did, either. After other evidences of this dealer's deficiencies, I have changed MySubaru.com to reflect the other, closest dealer in my city . Hopefully this closest dealer will be OK for the 30K service.

So I am back to the closest dealer.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: 2.5 XT
Strange, every 5eat requires the atf-HP, and EVERY AT from 06 on has required the ATF-HP fluid.

04xt/4eat, 16g, STI bits and bobs
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Just to throw a wrench into the gears, this is the response I got from Subaru:

Thanks for providing me with the name of the Subaru dealership that you referred to in your email. Unfortunately, I am unable to provide you with an explanation as to why this dealership would provide you with inaccurate information as it relates to the type of transmission fluid recommended for use in your 2010 Forester.

I did have the opportunity to review your question with a representative from our Technical Service Department and they did confirm for me that you should follow the guidelines set forth in the Owner's Manual for your vehicle. This information is a follows:

Information on transmission fluid from 2010 OM - page 11-21 - Recommended fluid
Use one of the following types of automatic
transmission fluid.
SUBARU ATF
IDEMITSU ATF HP
NOTE
Using any non-specified type of automatic
transmission fluid could result in
damage inside the transmission. When
replacing the automatic transmission
fluid, be sure to use the kind specified

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact Subaru of America, Inc. and I hope that this information is helpful to you at this time. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Jody

So they are actually saying regular transmission fluid or HP fluid is ok????

-Matt

2010 Limited
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Forum Member

They are saying use only SUBARU ATF or IDEMITSU ATF HP. They are one and the same, because all Subaru ATF is made by Idemitsu to their specs and is HP. It is possible to buy Idemitsu ATF that is not HP, but not Subaru ATF that is not HP (HP stands for high performance).

Here is a related email that I got from Subaru when I asked why Castrol Transmax J was specced for my 2008 along with Subaru and Idemitsu HP, but was dropped later. The reply does not specifically say why.

Quote:
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Ok, well I understand why the delear is confused then. Subaru says use Subaru ATF; to me, that means Dextron, not HP unless specifically specified.

-Matt

2010 Limited
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Forum Member

I don't think the dealer parts guy was confused. He was ignorant. The same thing happened to me in 2008 with my 2008. The guys just don't know the difference between ATF and ATF-HP, and what works where. I think Subaru no longer has Idemitsu make plain ATF for them, but the plain ATF is still in dealer inventory.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 06:29 PM
Forum Member

Well this is interesting/discouraging/frustrating. I found this thread while doing some early research because I'm thinking of attempting the transmission fluid change next time it's due. I have a 2006 NA Forester with about 130k miles on it. After reading through this thread, I decided to look back through past invoices from the dealership (up until 120k miles, I had them do all my service to take advantage of their extended powertrain warranty). On the 30k, 60k, 90k, and 120k service, I'm noticing a line item for 4qts. of ATF/PS FLUID DEXTRON III (SOA635003). However, based on what Im reading here...and yes, in my owner's manual, they should have been using the Genuine Subaru Automatic Transmission Fluid IDEMITSU ATF HP or Castrol Transmax J all this time.

Now, I must say that I've been very pleased with the service department thus far, and I haven't had any issues with the transmission in the 130k miles I've owned the vehicle, but now I'm wondering if it could be even better with the right damn fluid in the transmission. I've only recently decided to do some of my own work on the car. But many people (myself included) tend to assume that even if they do overpriced work (and sometimes more than necessary), the dealership should perform the correct service and at least use the correct parts/fluids.

If I decide to go ahead and do a fluid change using the right fluid next time, is that likely to cause any issues? I'm probably just going to drain and fill, not flush, so there will be a combination of the two types in there for a time. Or should I just keep using the wrong stuff and hope for the best?

2006 Forester 2.5 X
L.L. Bean Edition
Regal Blue Pearl/SGM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.