Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

transfer gears compatibility?

('01-'02) 
3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  dieselbass 
#1 ·
Hi guys bare with me on this but need a little help to save £215

I went to replace my centre diff in my forester s turbo (gearbox TY755VN2AA) with one from a wrx uk300 (gearbox TY754VN2AA) they look identical which is fine so i know i have the right one. I have the full gearbox from the wrx apart from 3rd gear.

Upon closer inspection to the transfer gears, the output shaft to the propshaft has some damaged teeth. I was going to swap it with the one from the wrx box but it has a different amount of teeth on the gear (33 where the existing has 40) so doesnt sit right with the existing transfer gear.

My question is. Can i swap the whole transfer gear assemblyand case from the wrx box to my existing box? The teeth count on the wrx box is 30 for transfer gear and 33 for output shaft gear and my existing box is 37 transfer 40 output.

I marked up the gears on both with a marker and spun the transfer gears on each a full turn and the marks on the output shafts were in the same position as each other.

Let me know what you think. A new output shaft is £215 :( so i hope i can use this

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok maybe someone can answer this then

Found out that i have a 4.444 front diff and the transfer ratio is 1.081:1 so my rear diff is 4.111:1

If i can find a box with a 4.111:1 front diff and a transfer ratio of 1:1 i should be ok using that? Would i need to change front driveshafts to match the box?

Reason i ask is i have located this box from a 96 wrx impreza

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.