Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Transbrake acceleration

('09-'13) 
2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Loscaldazar 
#1 ·
Well, yesterday I was playing with several settings on how to accelerate faster and DAMN!!

I "loaded" (pressing the accel and the brake at 1k rpms) the transmission at 1k rpms and realeased the brake...wow neck breaking acceleration (coming from a NA 2.5 stock 4 banger that is) shifts where clear, fast and without any hesitation....

I just wonder how a XT would feel.

My questions are:
What stall speed our converters have?

This type of acceleration overheats the tranny fluid so, would adding a tranny oil cooler affect warranty whatsoever?

As for tranny internals, being this my first Sub, how the 4EAT handle that type of abuse?

Would time my runs from 0 to 60 using my Dashhawk and get back to you guys... anyone with an XT wanna try this?

#2 ·
Yup, It's called torque braking, brake boosting (on the turbo's) and a few other things. Oil cooler would certainly help, but it is the equivalent of launching a manual, so it isn't easy on the gearbox. That being said, the 4EAT is very sturdy (in all the years it has been used by subaru, I've seen less than 10 reported cases of it failing online), but several guys, all of them turbo guys, have managed to break the 4EAT with torque braking. Once again, they all had turbo's though, and a 165HP 2.5x might not have enough power to damage it. Doing it often however will result in more damage.

I've heard that the owner's manual even says you can do it for up to 6 seconds with "no adverse affects", but don't quote me on that, I've only heard that from other people.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.