Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Tranny flush or drain and fill?

('09-'13) 
2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  nate_fisher 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 xt with the 4eat with about 16k miles on her. It is heavy modified seeing well over 450wtq on e85 so i figured i should change the tranny fluid out to keep her healthy. So the question is should i shell out the big bucks for the dealer to complete flush it or should i do a drain and flush myself for now and get 4 qts from the subaru dealer? I know its early for eather but the tranny does see a beating every now and then. Also is there a filter i should be changing as well?
Another question is should i do the diff oil as well while im in there or should i wait on that? Also what is a good strong diff oil to use on the 09+ XT with double the wheel horspower of stock?

#2 ·
Definately do the rear diff. Its just under a quart. The front won't need it. I try to do a drain and fill (3.75 quarts) on the auto about every 15K miles. Filter on some of the 2008's and all later is internal. Don't even bother with it.

Doing the rear the first time is a challange. You will need a 14"breaker bar. Technically a 13mm is required on the rear but if you are careful 1/2" works. Running up on a ramp for the rear works very well. It gets you leverage. Remove the top plug first.

#3 ·
Whats a good brand of diff oil to use should i just buy subaru brand? So i am going to do a drain a fill with 4qts of subaru tranny fluid and the diffs. Wouldnt it be better to do the front as well since the 4eat are more front wheel drive then 50/50?

#9 ·
The only reason I personally wouldn't do the flush is:

1. With only 16K miles on there the oil should be in great shape. Flush really isn't warranted and overly expensife (for me)
2. To me simple is better in that it allows for no errors. Draining 3.7 quarts and putting the same amount back in will be almost failsafe and cheaper.

#10 ·
Also seeing that the 09+ SH xt has a 90/10 split and mostly is fwd in normal driving is it true that when it is put into manual (sport mode) it becomes 50/50? I wont be doing the front diff yet since i have to remove my huge pita tmic to get to the fill tube were the rear is done rite in the rear. How much does subaru want usually for a complete flush and change? If its not a crazy amount i may go that route now and do drain and fills every other oil change after that.

#12 ·
It's a 60/40 split. 90/10 was the split in the early 1990's on Autos.

It only locks into 50/50 when you select 2nd gear from a stop (or when the right slipping all happens).

#13 ·
No i would never let them touch my intercooler i was going to do that myself for the front diff later proly around 30k miles i was talking price for a full tranny flush from the dealer that is all i would have them do but i will have to call as im sure they all are different price wise.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.