(All Years) Throw out bearing noise... The "$10 fix" - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 5 speed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Throw out bearing noise... The "$10 fix"

So I bought my Fozzy last August with 121k miles on it and was told the clutch and everything had been replaced. Sometime this winter I started getting a squeaking noise coming from the car around 130k. At 1st I thought it was a belt or and exhaust rattle from the heat shields. I addressed both of those and the noise did not go away. I later noticed that the noise would go away with just putting the weight of your foot on the clutch pedal.

I started searching online for fixes for the issue and came across some good ideas on the Legacy forums. So I went with it and with it and added tweaked them a little.

Basically I found that taking out the play on the clutch fork would take the noise away. It was too hard to drill a hole in the fork with it still on the car so I took a hose clamp and tightened it around the fork to give me somewhere to hook the springs too. I then took a couple of L backers and mounted them on the trans. 1 I used the slave cylinder bolt and the other to a ground bolt on the back of the trans.
For the L bracket on the slave cylinder I used a .9LB spring. It got rid of most of the noise but still had a faint squeak much better then it was before though. I found that moving the clutch fork to the either side side would get rid of even that little sound. For that one I used a 3.6LB spring.

All parts came from Lowes. The small L brackets I had to drill out the hole bigger to fit user the 14mm bolts. The springs come in packs of 2. In all I had under 10$ into the fix.

I know that my explanation of how I did it may have sucked so heres some pictures.

Clamp:

Back and forth spring and bracket hooked up:

Side play spring and bracket hooked up:

I will keep ya'll updated with how its holding up.

'04 Subaru Forester XS 5 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 06:23 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001
Transmission: 5mt
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Awesome write up! This is going on my near future mod list! Im frustrated with the little squeaks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 06:26 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: X Supercharged
Transmission: 4.11 5MT Swap
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Awesome, posting so I can find later. This noise drives me crazy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 07:58 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001
Transmission: 5mt
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Could this cause throwout bearing wear?

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 10:26 PM
dpm
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: XC diesel
Transmission: CVT
did you lube the fork's pivot ball?

2015 SJ XCdiesel CVT
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 01:31 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Forester S Turbo
Transmission: 5MT
Great job and write up but the first thing that struck me while looking at the photos was the same as dpm, surely an unlubed basic ball and socket joint, which is badly corroded, will likely make some noise too,?

99 S Turbo. TD04-19T. 270/285. JGM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 05:00 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: X Supercharged
Transmission: 4.11 5MT Swap
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Mine makes more of a tk-a-tk-a-tk-a-tk-a-tk-a-tk-a noise. It's worth a shot. Otherwise I'll just adjust the clutch pedal linkage so it's always partially loaded.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWinnman View Post
Could this cause throwout bearing wear?
I don't think so. Doing this takes the play out of the clutch fork not so much the throw out bearing. There shouldn't be any play to the throw out bearing really unless its actually bad.

I like this method of fixing the noise better then adjusting the pedal since its not putting any load on the hydraulics its actually taking it completely off.

Its actually not all that corroded. Its more greasy grime then it is rust. But you are right I should clean it up a bit.

For far Ive put 400 miles on it since the fix and the noise has not come back.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Update... Over 2500 miles put on it since the fix and still no squeal.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 06:41 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Transmission: Manual
I'm doing this, this weekend

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 10:58 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 01
Car Model: Forester Ltd
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkaab View Post
So I bought my Fozzy last August with 121k miles on it and was told the clutch and everything had been replaced. Sometime this winter I started getting a squeaking noise coming from the car around 130k. At 1st I thought it was a belt or and exhaust rattle from the heat shields. I addressed both of those and the noise did not go away. I later noticed that the noise would go away with just putting the weight of your foot on the clutch pedal.

I started searching online for fixes for the issue and came across some good ideas on the Legacy forums. So I went with it and with it and added tweaked them a little.

Basically I found that taking out the play on the clutch fork would take the noise away. It was too hard to drill a hole in the fork with it still on the car so I took a hose clamp and tightened it around the fork to give me somewhere to hook the springs too. I then took a couple of L backers and mounted them on the trans. 1 I used the slave cylinder bolt and the other to a ground bolt on the back of the trans.
For the L bracket on the slave cylinder I used a .9LB spring. It got rid of most of the noise but still had a faint squeak much better then it was before though. I found that moving the clutch fork to the either side side would get rid of even that little sound. For that one I used a 3.6LB spring.

All parts came from Lowes. The small L brackets I had to drill out the hole bigger to fit user the 14mm bolts. The springs come in packs of 2. In all I had under 10$ into the fix.

I know that my explanation of how I did it may have sucked so heres some pictures.

Clamp:

Back and forth spring and bracket hooked up:

Side play spring and bracket hooked up:

I will keep ya'll updated with how its holding up.
Just a tip from the picture your ground wire with yellow stripe needs to be cut back and recrimped with a new ground lug , it building of resistance from corrsion and you will notice the wire is stiffer at that point. I had enough slack to cut it back far enough and put a new lug on. Just tip...

01 Silver LTD MT5/HI-FLO/ 98 S MT5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode