Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Swapping CVT into 2011 FB25 SH

('09-'13) 
5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  The Sub 
#1 ·
Hi,

I was reading up that the MPG ratings for the Forester with the CVT are way above the manual and 4EAT...is it possible to swap in a CVT into an earlier Forester with the FB25/4EAT combo?

I am thinking that in a few years it might be worth it to do the swap as gas prices creep up...and it would be a fun project :)

Any tips or info or opinions about this idea?

Cheers!

#5 ·
Well, I wish someone would imagine a way to get that tranny into that car.

Well, maybe in a great many years when I get extra time/money/restlessness I may just tackle that one...

anyone know of where to get the dimensions on those transmissions? Or should I just look it up in the service manual [for the 4EAT at least]?

Thanks for the replies!

#6 ·
Better off just selling the current vehicle.

Add funds you would use to buy the CVT, TCU, ECU, puts with wiring..... to the profits from the sale of the vehicle.

Buy used 2014+ and have some thing that is meant to be with a CVT.

Who knows what all had to change for the CVT to not only fit but for the engine tune, wiring......

#8 ·
Transmission and engine swaps only are getting harder on newer vehicles. Almost everything is tied together (traction control, throttle, ABS, etc). It would require a lot of work to get everything to work correctly, and there is always the possibility that it won't work at all!

#9 ·
Well, I will shelve this dream for now....if it was a simpler, bolt-in affair then I would be much more inclined to pursue it. Thanks for shooting my dreams down forum members!!!

JK, thanks for the advice! Much appreciated!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.