Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

speedM8 converter issue (JDM AUTO)

('98-'00) 
1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  flstffxe 
#1 ·
hi all, i noticed recently that the front end of the forester was wheelspinning a lot when i hit the gas. strange i thought as its AWD?
read a few threads, and as its an auto it should be sending most of the power to the rear under high throttle conditions.
so i started thinking that i have diff issues and all sorts, but it then it hit me that this started after I fitted the electronic speedo converter...... with this in mind i removed the converter and took the car for a good thrashing.

all back to normal, no front wheels lighting up and power to the rear again.

when i bought the converter I was assured that it was programmed for the automatic version and would work fine? it does the job and the gear changes seem ok, its just the center diff that seems to be affected..........

has anyone else had issues like this??

#2 ·
Never herd of your issue, but I guess anything you do to that could cause your issue...

The Autotragic in our cars transfers power via electronic solenoid not mechanical clutch like the manuals... So it's got to "sense" wheelspin and then open a valve, sending fluid pressure to the right thing, transferring power... no signal, no tranfer..

So, whatever you did, was the problem, obvious...

You're just going to have to convert the old fashion way..

#3 ·
Where are you tapping into for the speedM8 converter, from the ECU to the cluster or from one of the VSS?

If you are placing the speedM8 converter between a VSS and the ECU the ECU/TCU is/are seeing two different output speeds from the front and rear vehicle speed sensors.

Most of these converters are between the ecu and cluster, just faking what the needle moves to on the cluster.

On the manuals the center diff is a fixed 50/50 split so tapping a VSS doesn't cause any issues as there is no computer controlling the torque split.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.