Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

sloppy shifter?!?!?

('98-'00) 
27K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  JarHarms 
#1 ·
like the title says, i have a 98 with about 300k now and the shifter keeps getting worst and worst. there's large amounts of movement. i want to know what the shift joint thingy is called when i call subaru i don't sound like a jackass. or if u guys know the parts # would be even better. i tryed looking on the subaru parts sites but i can get into the trans parts. thanks

oh and i tryed the searched button. tryed sloppy shifter, loose shifter, broken shifter.

#8 ·
#9 ·
If you're car does have the external return spring you can have a tab with a hole welded onto the TiC 5MT linkage update to hook the spring on. You'll have to look at you're linkage to see if it has an external or internal return spring. The spring frequently breaks and or falls off so you may not see a spring, you might have to look at the linkage and see if it has a tab with a hole. My Legacy's shifter used to flop around and was extremely vague, the bushings in my linkage were shot and the return spring was missing. I put a modified TiC linkage update, new return spring and a WRX shifter and it feels great now. So if you have an external return spring just have a tab welded on to use the updated linkage.

#10 ·
My Forester has the tab, but no spring. The shifter feels fine so I haven't been worrying about it. Come to think of it, I don't think there's anywhere on mine for the other end of the spring to hook to, so that's why I shrugged it off.

#11 ·
Not entirely sure how I would check this spring business out. I'm not very familiar with transmissions and shifters heh. I'll probably do the bushings for now and see what happens before diving into the linkage. Or does this sound dumb and I should do it all at once. When I look at their guide for the install, I'm not all that sure about what's coming out. Things look different when I'm looking at the cobb guide for the bushing install.

http://www.tougetuning.com/store/images/COBB_Tuning_Shifter_Bushing_Instructions.pdf

#12 ·
Been discussing this linkage piece with the jdm impreza guys and it's still a tad confusing. I guess the 93-98 years had the spring so probably my forester has it too. And there is a part number 35047AC030 for that one. But it sounds like what I want is the new TIC one so I can pair that with a wrx short throw shifter, and then if need be, weld on the little ring for a spring?

#17 ·
Has anyone done any of all of these bushing upgrades? Were they worth the money?
My shifter is fairly sloppy, but not as bad as some, I imagine, and I just want to tidy it up!
I have done the kartboy front stay, new Subaru rear support, TiC linkage joint, and TiC pivot bushings. My opinion is if any of the parts you're replacing are shot then you will notice the most improvement. Pretty obvious.
The front stay bushing provides a noticable change. The rear Subaru support bushing only changes if the old on is shot. A Kartboy support bushing is something you can feel but it is designed for the Impreza so it will raise your shift lever height. The linkage joint works but (as a growing trend IMO) I had to modify TiC's bushings to work right. Their 5MT pivot bushings are a waste due to reasons I detail in my part review.

I suggest doing the linkage joint and front stay bushing first. Then test out if that gets you what you are looking for. A short shifter can also give the feel of less slop.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.