Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Slave Cylinder question

('98-'00) 
5K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  no694terry 
#1 ·
Something doesn't seem right with my slave cylinder. It has an extra "peice" that slips over the pushrod. I just went and bought another slave cylinder and was going to change it tonight but I'm trying to understand why this extra peice is there. I had the motor out a couple weeks ago and inspected the throw out bearing and the fork and they seemed fine, when i put it all back together i noticed the slave cylinder rod didn't quite reach the fork and then i remebered this peice i found under the car when i was cleaning up, it fits perfectly over the rod but i don't think its factory. The clutch has an inconsitent feel to it, it engages and disengages fine but feels odd. Sometimes in engages real smooth pulling out in first gear and sometimes it shutters. Im hoping the old owner just lost the rod and made this thing, seeing how crooked it is, i don't thing the right rod is even in there anywhere.

See less See more
#2 ·
update: i pulled the slave cylinder off and the original pushrod pin is in there and is the same length as my new one. the new pin installed, i press clutch and it goes straigh to the floor. the pin in 1/2" short of the fork. only thing i can think of is that the pivot pin in bellhousing is too short or the throwout bearing is to thin

#3 ·
I guess you found out why the extra part was in there..lol

The odd pedal feel could easily be air in the system, you didnt mention bleeding it.

I cant say WHY the slave would have an extension on it unless it was using a non-stock clutch... but it sounds like something in the system moved 1/2"

Not a lotta help today im not

Sent from Hell via Tapatalk

#4 ·
The previous owner talked a lot about ebay. He said it had a new stage one clutch in it. When I pulled the motor it had a stock looking clutch with a red pressure plate. I looked on ebay and it looks like the XTD one. It worked so I planned to reuse it but when I bought the jdm motor, it had a much nicer looking clutch already bolted up so I left it. I had to reuse the throwout bearing but it felt fine. The clutch operates fine most of the time, just on occasion I get a lot of shutter when releasing at low rpms that doesnt always happen.

I didnt try to bleed the system. Maybe ill just machine a new rod out of stainless so I can ditch the spacer

#5 · (Edited)
started making a new rod out of 316 Stainless. I'll have to get the right length measurement when i take it back apart when i get home. I just want that spacer out of there. I originally thought i would just wait out the 236k mile transmission and replace the transmission, fork, and get a good clutch kit at that point, but this 5mt doesn't feel like its calling it quits anytime soon.

well i f'd up the pin i made, its ended up about a 1/8" too short and wont fully disengage the clutch. Its a very fine line. i put the new slave in but it didn't do anything but completely frustrate the crap out of me trying to bleed it.

#6 ·
I am still dumbfounded over this slave cylinder. I have a different transmission now, a new fork, new clutch, pressure plate and release bearing and i still have to use the longer pin for my cluth to work. If i put stock pin in the pedal goes to floor.

I have a frankenmotor in there now and the new clutch can't seem to hold the torque. And when i just start to push in the clutch it disengages very quickly. I checked my homemade pin to make sure it wasn't pressing in on release bearing but it seems fine. I can pull it back a little into the slave so there is hardly any tension on the fork.

I shoulh have went for the exedy. The clutch is a Perfection Premium for a 2.5RS

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.