replacing Drive shaft - front, rear or both? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 2000
Car Model: Forester
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default replacing Drive shaft - front, rear or both?

Hi,
My Subaru dealership service center is recommending that I replace the driveshaft on my 2000 Subaru Forester, Automatic Transmission. They said I can have a new one put in or if I can find a used one in good shape it would be less expensive. When I searched some salvage yards (online/phone) they ask if I need front or rear transmission. I called Subaru back and they said it is all one piece, there is no choice of front and rear because they are connected in a way that they have to be installed together. On a second call to the salvage yard they disagreed and said it is 2 seperate pieces that do not have to be installed together.
Who is right?
Is there anything else I should look at, consider or ask about before I spend a lot of money replacing my driveshaft?

Thanks,
Michelle
Michelle in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2009, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Mitsubishi Pajero
Transmission: 5spd Automatic
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

From what I understand there is supposed to be halfshafts. So it should be 2 for the front.
There is a reason when you hook of the suspension you risc pulling the shaft out of the diff.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 05
Car Model: FXT
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

There are 5 "shafts" linking items on the vehicle.

Two half shafts up front to go from the transmission to each front wheel. There are two half shafts in the rear going from the rear differential to each rear wheel. These half shafts are also called axles sometimes.

There is large shaft that goes from the transmission to the rear differential. This is commonly refered to as either a driveshaft or propshaft. On some vehicles this is a one piece unit, on others, it is a two piece unit. Typically you replace it as a complete assembly.

Depending on which one the dealer is refering to versus the salvage yards could be part of the confusion. Confirm w/ the dealer.

If they are talking the half-shafts, a more common route is to go to a local auto parts store and get a "remanufactured" unit. This is far cheaper than a new assembly. However quality is hit and miss.

Hope this helps.
Hardrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

That clarifies it a bit I think, I think it is the Propshaft.
The salvageyards don't seem to know, I guess I will just have Subaru install a new one.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

I'm not as savy on the interchangability between models and years, especially when it comes to the auto trans vehicles. Hopefully someone else can chime in, but it may be a common part between multiple Subaru models. If that's the case, you may be able to sniff around ebay or NASIOC (gasp, I said it) and pick up a used one pretty cheap.

Any reason in particular the dealer tells you it requires a new one? Did you have a bad vibration?
Old 05-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

I do have a small vibration at around 70mph so am getting the tires rotated and balanced today since they are overdue for this. I didnot mention any vibration to Subaru when they had my car though.
They noticed the driveshaft when I took it in for oil change and overall inspection. They said it was bad enough that I should repair it before going on a trip I have planned in June. They said there is no telling if/when it would break and it could create a lot of damage if it broke.
Maybe I should request that they show me the driveshaft and where it is worn out.
Michelle
Old 05-27-2009, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001

Mine failed on me. There are 2 sizes of propshafts available. One for the manual transmision and one for the automatic transmission.

You can find another propshaft from a Forester or Impreza Wagon. Lots of people swap their Impreza Wagons to STI, so the driveline is often up for sale.

Center drive shaft failure!!!!

Here is a picture of an actual propshaft.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck_this View Post
Lots of people swap their Impreza Wagons to STI, so the driveline is often up for sale.
I'm having the same problem. A shimmy throughout the car when accelerating. Guy at the shop seems 90% sure it's the DS and so am I.

Are there any other shafts from imprezas, etc. that fit the Forester, specifically an 04 XT, or is it just the Impreza Wagon? Don't want to hijack the thread, so if someone knows you can PM me. I thought a new thread would be overkill.

thx
XTDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Update:
Thanks for all the advise above, I found it helpful and checked out the NASIOC website/forum too.

I have tried to educate myself on what my best options are for replacing the Propshaft/driveshaft (depending on who you talk to). I even had the salvage yard call Subaru to confirm the part they can get is the part I need. So it looks like my 2 options are:
buy new -$770.00 plus install estimated at $100.00, 1 yr warrenty
buy used $200.00 plus install estimated at $100.00, 90 day warrenty
the used one already has 60,000-90,000 miles on it.

my car currently is at 179,000 miles, 1 owner, well maintained.

If it was your car, what would you do?
Old 05-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

I'm not advising, just saying what I would probably do (because I'm new to these types of shafts/drivetrains). The used DS would be a better financial decision, and if you had problems with it down the road, you would still be saving money even if you replaced it again with another used one at the same cost. If you have the cash, you could save yourself the possible headache and just go new. But if I had 179,xxx miles I (that's just me talkin) would probably go used. Better get some more people to chime in though...

edit: or see it you can find one used with less miles
XTDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member

Looks like this isn't too uncommon of a problem. So w/ that said, buying a used versus a new is going to put you at less life.

I would look at your intention for the vehicle. If you plan to run it into the ground until no tomorrow, I'd throw a new one on it. If you plan on unloading the vehicle in the next 70,000 miles, I'd put the used on it.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
New User

Car Year: 2005
Transmission: Manual

No idea subaru had so many issues with there drive shafts?... None the less I love my Forester. So like alot of people I was getting vibrations and wierd noises from under my vehicle in certain speeds. Took it to get looked at and apperantley I needed a new drive shaft. When I heard the prices I thought my mechanic was trying get over on me. Was faced with two options and I didnt like either one. Didnt want to put a used part in the car and definitley didnt want to pay dealer price for a new one. Came across this website I read about on forums WHOLESALEIMPORTPARTS and I couldnt be happier with the outcome. I got a NEW driveshaft NOT remanufactured! and got it for under $440 WITH REPLACEABLE U JOINTS!!!. and free shipping. Needless to say after installing the part on my car my mechanic is now one of there best customers. Hope this may be usefull to somebody else.

http://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/...rive_Shaft.php
Foreststar818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Transmission: 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreststar818 View Post
No idea subaru had so many issues with there drive shafts?... None the less I love my Forester. So like alot of people I was getting vibrations and wierd noises from under my vehicle in certain speeds. Took it to get looked at and apperantley I needed a new drive shaft. When I heard the prices I thought my mechanic was trying get over on me. Was faced with two options and I didnt like either one. Didnt want to put a used part in the car and definitley didnt want to pay dealer price for a new one. Came across this website I read about on forums WHOLESALEIMPORTPARTS and I couldnt be happier with the outcome. I got a NEW driveshaft NOT remanufactured! and got it for under $440 WITH REPLACEABLE U JOINTS!!!. and free shipping. Needless to say after installing the part on my car my mechanic is now one of there best customers. Hope this may be usefull to somebody else.

Subaru Driveshaft - Subaru Drive Shaft - Free Shipping
If you bought it from that link, you bought a reman. It wasn't new. How do I know? I bought from the same place. Why do you think there was a core charge?

They can claim "new" since they fully disassemble the old one and only reuse the actual shafts. New joints, new center bearing, modified to be serviceable, but it's still technically a reman.
Sabrewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

Transmission: 4EAT
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Jackie at Annapolis Subaru has Genuine Subaru Remanufactured Drivershafts (front,rear,and prop) at half the cost of new with the SAME warranty. Just ordered a front driveshaft for my04 due to turbo cracking the boot an me ignoring it causing bad wear in the joint. It was $160.42 (minus core charge) cant beat that!
joshmikesad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
New User

Car Year: 04
Car Model: forester
Transmission: Automatic
Default NEW Shaft!, NOT re-manufactured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrewings View Post
If you bought it from that link, you bought a reman. It wasn't new. How do I know? I bought from the same place. Why do you think there was a core charge?

They can claim "new" since they fully disassemble the old one and only reuse the actual shafts. New joints, new center bearing, modified to be serviceable, but it's still technically a reman.
I don't know where your getting your information or how long ago you bought your drive shaft, but you sir, are wrong!. I my self not too long ago purchased a drive shaft from Wholesale Import Parts, I can assure you first hand, it was a completely brand NEW drive shaft!!. NEW build, ALL NEW COMPONENTS, and TUBING. How do I know?.....
I looked at it when I received it!, and oh yeah, NO CORE DEPOSIT!.

Completely NEW shaft! with replaceable u joints, NOT re manufactured like you claim. Anyhow... drive shaft has been on the vehicle for over 6 months with no problems.

Great company, great source for drive shafts, point blank. Have a look for your self... Link provided below (no core deposit).

2004 Subaru Forester Drive Shaft - Subaru Forester Driveline - Free Shipping

Last edited by RudeRick; 03-20-2014 at 09:55 AM.
RudeRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline