Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Remanufactured axle question

('01-'02) 
6K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  flstffxe 
#1 ·
Strange, I think my thread disappeared right after I posted it..

Anyways, I just finished replacing one of the front axles on my 02 and noticed something interesting. The replacement axle was a reman from Napa, which I bought on their advice, as they have been having some quality issues with their house brand axles at the moment.

At first I thought it wasn't seating in the hub correctly, then realized it's actually just missing the ring that acts as a shield to close off the area around the ABS sensor. Upon further inspection, I also realized it's missing the shield that goes on the inboard side, over the output shaft from the transaxle.

Has anyone seen that before? Not sure what to do.. Not even sure if it's a problem, really. Any thoughts?

Attached are two pictures I took of the old axle, showing the shields that are not present on the new axle.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
You'd probably be okay, but it does mean that you didn't get a re-mann'ed axle. You got a new, aftermarket axle. A1-Cardone make their remann'ed axles, ant that's what I have always used. I've yet to have a single problem with them. Stay away from "new" ones unless they come from the dealer. You can ask them for another axle too. You may have to pay for it, but they'll give you a full refund (including core) when you bring in the one you have now.

#3 ·
NAPA axles are frikkin GARBAGE... ask the guy that's going to have had 8 in his car in the last 2yrs...

it's normal to have parts missing, they suck...

It's NOT normal for them to go <50mi, but they do, and at 1000mi and at 5000mi...

Do yourself a favor, if you care about the car, buy a Subaru reman, it'll cost you DOUBLE what a NAPA will (~150 for a reman) but save you the frikkin headach...

#4 ·
It shouldn't be an issue, I would complain that the the dust and stone guards are missing. They help keep debris away from the axle seal and rocks stones... out of the ABS tone ring.

A1-cardone is who does the remand axles for Subaru IIRC, One of the reasons A1-cardone remans are often recommended here, as Jgrote has.

Personally I have had extremely good experiences with MW Enterprises, quality remanufactured Subaru Axles, I have used them on several cars now and none have had issues. I have also had good luck with First Equipment Quality axles(FEQ).

Many of the NEW aftermarket axles are junk. Members here have had issues ranging from vibration to ultra short life.

#6 ·
Hm, interesting.. I guess my biggest concern was that stuff could splash up into those areas, but after thinking about it more, there ARE seals there to protect the transaxle and wheel bearings. But it's probably going to bug the crap out of me every time I look at the thing.

So is this a common thing, then? Still seems strange to me that they'd omit those shields in the first place.

#9 ·
Yeah, I don't really feel like replacing it again if I can terribly avoid it. Napa part number is 95-3170. Quick google search indicated a few others have used them as well and haven't seen any problems reported as of yet..

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.