post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: automatic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ReFILLING the 2015 2.5I CVT transmission

Yes,while attempting to change the engine oil in my 2015 Forester 2.5i, I
mistakenly removed the CVT trans drain plug. First, I received very good info from many of the folks on this forum. I purchased 7 quarts of CVT fluid from my Subaru dealer. I also had the Subaru spec. for replacing the fluid.
A- I jacked the vehicle up,with all four wheels off the ground. I used a carpenters level and checked the front ,rear and both sides of car for being level.
B-Opened the fill plug on the trans,located on the drivers side of the trans.
C- With engine off,I started filling the trans with fluid,it took approx. 4 quarts,then it started to drip out the fill hole.
D- Replaced the trans fill plug.
E- I started the engine and placed the transmission selector from park,to reverse,to neutral then drive.Then placed the selector from drive to neutral
to reverse and finally park. At that time I shut the engine off and continued to refill the trans until fluid leaked out the fill hole.Replace trans plug.
F-I used a small industrial thermometer for the task of making sure the
fluid was up to the required Subaru spec.(approx 100 degrees F)
G-Started engine ,ran the trans through the gears as stated in E. ,carefully remove trans. fill plug and continue to fill with CVT fluid until it runs out the fill hole,then stop filling and let any excess fluid drain out . Use thermometer
to check fluid temp ,once it reaches acceptable temp. replace fill plug.
H- Remove jacks and test drive car,listening for any noises and or
feeling any shutters or jerks from the trans.
I - If you feel or hear anything new with the operation of the trans,go back
and jack up car and recheck your work.
J- You have completed the procedure,lets hope you dont make that mistake again. ( I used approx 5.75 quarts of CVT fluid for this procedure.) ed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 10:01 AM
New User

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester. 2.5 Tour
Transmission: CVT
Unhappy Filling the 2015 2.5I CVT Transmission

I did exactly the same thing on my 2014 Forrester. There is no dipstick to put the fluid back into the transmission. You found the fill plug on the drivers side of the transmission. What did it look like? Did it have a Torx head? Can I assume that the 2014 is the same layout as the 2015?

Would you have a photo of the plug?

It looks like the only way to put the fluid into the transmission is to find a hose that fits and stick it into the hole then put a small funnel on the other end of the hose and pour it in. I lost almost 5 quarts.

When you started the engine, was the fill hole still open whith the hose still in it? Did oil leak out?

I know almost exactly how much oil that I lost. Can I just put the same amount back in?

I drove the car about 40 feet before I realized what I had done. Do you think that I damaged the transmission?

Thanks.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Model: 2.0 XT
Transmission: yes
Garage
Good save!

I'd follow the refill procedure by the book, which is what is described above. Or, have it towed to the dealer, and have them do it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 06:27 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
I purchased 7 quarts of CVT fluid from my Subaru dealer.
Do you have the part number for the fluid? It should be on the invoice from the dealer's parts counter.

I didn't know that they sold just quarts? I'd heard that the fluid was only available in a 5 gallon pail.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 06:57 AM
New User

Car Model: Forester
Quote:
mistakenly removed the CVT trans drain plug. First, I received very good info from many of the folks on this forum. I purchased 7 quarts of CVT fluid from my Subaru dealer. I also had the Subaru spec. for replacing the fluid.
A- I jacked the vehicle up,with all four wheels off the ground. I used a carpenters level and checked the front ,rear and both sides of car for being level.
C- With engine off,I started filling the trans with fluid,it took approx. 4 quarts,then it started to drip out the fill hole.
E- I started the engine and placed the transmission selector from park,to reverse,to neutral then drive.Then placed the selector from drive to neutral
to reverse and finally park. At that time I shut the engine off and continued to refill the trans until fluid leaked out the fill hole.Replace trans plug.
G-Started engine ,ran the trans through the gears as stated in E. ,carefully remove trans. fill plug and continue to fill with CVT fluid until it runs out the fill hole,then stop filling and let any excess fluid drain out . Use thermometer
J- You have completed the procedure,lets hope you dont make that mistake again. ( I used approx 5.75 quarts of CVT fluid for this procedure.) ed
When you drained the fluid by accident, was the vehicle warm or cold? Had you just finished driving it or had it been sitting for a while?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 10:26 PM
New User

Car Model: Forester 2.5 Touring
old thread but you helped me

Quote:
Eddie Sgetti-- I know this is old but you helped me out. I used dealer for first couple years of oil changes after getting the first couple oil changes written in when we bought it. It finally rolled around time for me to start paying for my oil changes so I thought I would do it myself. Unfortunately did the same thing as a few others here have done. Wasn't hard at all to fix this. I ran to autozone and got some CVT transmission fluid (10 quarts to be safe, but ended up only needing 5). I got a $15 fluid pump that basically looks like the top of a lotion bottle. Used it to pump the fluid through a small 1/2" tube into the transmission fluid fill hole (mine used a phillips head, unlike the 14mm drain plug). I never had to remove the drain plug in this process, only the fill plug. Filled it until it overflowed, hand tightened, started engine and cycled the gears slowly, allowing fluid to warm up. Park, Rev, N, the Drive, and slowly back, and Then killed it and let my friend add a few more ounces. After 2-3 times of this, we tightened the lid and called it a day. Ended up being a lot easier than some people made it sound. Thanks for the guidance.
treeman likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: automatic
Very happy that I could help. ed
treeman likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 08:39 AM
New User

Car Model: Outback 2.5
Measure CVT fluid

I was wondering, would it be a good idea to accurately measure the CVT fluid when it is drained and replace the exact same amount when refilling with new fluid? Would that make it easier? Less work? This assumes that the CVT had the correct amount of fluid in it when it was drained.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 07:11 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester2.5i Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by montgom626 View Post
I was wondering, would it be a good idea to accurately measure the CVT fluid when it is drained and replace the exact same amount when refilling with new fluid? Would that make it easier? Less work? This assumes that the CVT had the correct amount of fluid in it when it was drained.
Yes if it has the correct amount to begin with. But you will still not know if the level is high or low.
Busaru2016 likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:10 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
Transmission: auto
Mr Spaghetti,

I also drained the trann fluid by mistake. The pan looked like most oil pans I have seen on many other cars.Oh well!Lesson learned.

I can't find the fill hole for the trann you described. Do you have a photo or a more detailed description. ?
I have a 2015 2.5i Limited.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode