Rear Wheel Bearing Failure - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Rear Wheel Bearing Failure

I haven't read too many posts about Rear Wheel Bearings, but I have had both Right and Left rear bearings go out on my 03 Forester, and the right one is on its way out again. I haven't taken my Forester in to Subaru for anything else other than these wheel bearing problems. I have done all the rest of the maintenance my self except for this.

Is this a common problem with the Forester? The mechanic at the Subaru dealer indicated that it is, the problem is that it costs me more than $600 each time. I got my Forester with 50K miles on it an by about 100K miles I had to change the Left rear wheel bearing, then by 130k miles the Right had gone out. Recently (174K miles) I heard the same old loud noise coming from the rear. I know that it is only a matter of a few miles until it goes out again.

I thought of making the investment and buying the bearing puller tools to do it myself if it really is a common problem, but the price for the tools is quite expensive although less than the cost of taking it to Subaru.

Any advice? What to Do? And is this really a common problem and what should it cost? Where can I take it other than Subaru?
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 04:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

It really shouldn't cost more than 400 at a dealer. If you can pull the spindle yourself you can bring it to someplace like napa and they'll sell you the bearing and install it on the spindle for about 150-200$. Something like the "hub shark" would let you do it right on the car and then the only cost is the bearing. Also, if you've replaced one multiple times the hub/spindle can get scored/out of round and you might have to replace the whole thing.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mr. January 2008

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester XT Sports
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

You need a press to get the bearings on/off the hub. Also a large majority of the cost is the actual bearing pack as it’s both inner & outer all in one sealed up unit. The right equipment is important as you can damage the hub attempting to pull the bearing pack off of it. Perhaps your $600 cost each time included a new hub too? Often when the bearing starts to squeal if you let it go too long it can cease and take the hub with it, resulting in a more expensive fix. But hey, look at it this way, now your good for another 100k miles!
xcntrk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Subaru Forester XS

does the noise you hear get progressively louder the faster your going, regardless of RPM?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester 2.5XT

I didn't realize this was a common problem. Just a few weeks ago I had to replace the right rear wheel bearing on my 05 FXT with 53K miles. I was shocked to see the bearing go at such low mileage in my car. I believe the original quote came to roughly $570 for the bearing and a new hub, so my guess would be that the $600 you payed is probably for a hub as well as a bearing. Thankfully, mine was still under the powertrain warranty.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement

I think the Dealer took me. Both Dealers were in the SF Bay Area. They told me that they didn't replace the hub both times. I went to two different dealers. The first one I thought was too high, but the second dealer charged approximately the same price. About $600.00 Ouch!!

funkymonkey or anyone. Can I buy the hub with the bearing already installed, so I can do it my self without buying the tools?

Torsen - Yes, louder with distance. It starts out a little noisy, but then progresses to the point that I can not hear the radio well without turning it up way too loud. Of course the pitch changes with speed a little.

I found this article in End Wrench Mag; http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/BearingTheLoad.pdf

Explaining the procedure. Is the Hub Shark similar to this kit? J-45697 Hub Remover/Replacer Kit. Anyone know the price of this Kit?
Old 02-07-2009, 04:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Mr. January 2008

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester XT Sports
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

If I were you; I would hit up your local chapter over on Nasioc and ask for recommendations on quality Subaru shops. There's only third-party mechanics that staff Subaru certified techs which are not dealer shops. Usually these shops are just as competent (if not more) then dealers, yet cut out all the BS.
xcntrk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Legacy GT
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Common problem. Both of the rear wheel bearings on my 99' went out around 66K miles. The right rear went out again around 90K. Everything is in good shape now though!
Old 02-07-2009, 08:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car Model: '08 FXT Sports

I had my right rear bearing go out at 23K! Thank God I made it home from New Orleans to Tampa. Talk about loud! The dealer (Mastro) replaced it under warranty.
Mantra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: MDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fblittle View Post

I haven't read too many posts about Rear Wheel Bearings, but I have had both Right and Left rear bearings go out on my 03 Forester, and the right one is on its way out again. I haven't taken my Forester in to Subaru for anything else other than these timken wheel bearings problems. I have done all the rest of the maintenance my self except for this.

Is this a common problem with the Forester? The mechanic at the Subaru dealer indicated that it is, the problem is that it costs me more than $600 each time. I got my Forester with 50K miles on it an by about 100K miles I had to change the Left rear wheel bearing, then by 130k miles the Right had gone out. Recently (174K miles) I heard the same old loud noise coming from the rear. I know that it is only a matter of a few miles until it goes out again.

I thought of making the investment and buying the bearing puller tools to do it myself if it really is a common problem, but the price for the tools is quite expensive although less than the cost of taking it to Subaru.

Any advice? What to Do? And is this really a common problem and what should it cost? Where can I take it other than Subaru?
My friend just got the same problem last Sunday. $600? The local mechanic got himself paid witn $800. That bastard

Last edited by drewtiss; 09-22-2009 at 11:20 PM.
drewtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Xterra SE 4x4
Transmission: Slushbox
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've just changed the rear bearings in my '01 at 122,000 miles.
(all my fault) Wheel bearing change

Not that difficult to do with the right pullers and an impact wrench.
If you can do your own brakes you can probably do it with help from this forum.
frogstar7055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 02
Car Model: Foz
Transmission: 4eat
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 19 reviews

Definately good to find a local shop that is trustworthy. My local guy charges in the realm of $350-400 without the hub. He also has a ton of spare parts, so you can get a used hub instead of buying a new one.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Sorry to hear about the bearing troubles.

This brings to mind the need for a FAQ regarding the common noises coming from the rear end and their causes, specific to the common Foz issues.

E.g., rear bearing noise, rear diff noises, tire noise, etc.. and how to determine what you've got going on back there.

I realize all this is findable, but it might be nice to put it all together. I'm not new to cars but am fairly noobish to Subaru, I can imagine someone who isn't a "car person" could really have an advantage knowing how to pinpoint such issues rather than relying on a mechanic to give them the most expensive option.

I'm even willing to put the list together, but the data needs to come from folks who know more than me about the topic!!
Old 09-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2000
Car Model: Forester L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modemjunki View Post
Sorry to hear about the bearing troubles.

This brings to mind the need for a FAQ regarding the common noises coming from the rear end and their causes, specific to the common Foz issues.

E.g., rear bearing noise, rear diff noises, tire noise, etc.. and how to determine what you've got going on back there.

I realize all this is findable, but it might be nice to put it all together. I'm not new to cars but am fairly noobish to Subaru, I can imagine someone who isn't a "car person" could really have an advantage knowing how to pinpoint such issues rather than relying on a mechanic to give them the most expensive option.

I'm even willing to put the list together, but the data needs to come from folks who know more than me about the topic!!
This would be so nice to have somewhere.

I am experiencing a loud hum/vibration coming from the rear of the vehicle. I am guess it is the rear wheel bearings as I have about 110K miles and have the original bearings. I am not sure on other possible causes (differential?) The noise increases with speed (independent of RPM). I have noticed that when I am taking a left turn in the freeway at 50+ mph the noise eases up a bit. I assume that means the left wheel bearing was contributing alot of noise?

Any help on how to diagnose this noise as well as what I should be expecting to pay to have it repaired would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Teppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester 2.5i Prem.
Transmission: manual 6 speed
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I just had to replace left rear wheel bearing and hub assembly at 28,000 miles on my 2007 Forester. This is definitely causing me to think again about any future Subarus.
hmck
hmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline