Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Rear Wheel Bearing

('06-'08) 
1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Wiscon_Mark 
#1 ·
I guess I have to admit that I have a rear wheel bearing going out on my 08X with 103K miles. Its just a steady whine I believe coming from the passenger rear side. What is a ballpark dealer cost and should I replace both sides? I will get an estimate today.

#2 ·
Dealer could be $500-$800. By yourself, $100 for the bearings and seals (OEM), and then the bearing still has to be pressed. If you pay to have the bearing pressed another $50-$80 at a shop.

Or you can buy a cheap shop press on sale, and use it for future projects too. IT would probably be really easy to build your own too if you just bought a bottle jack....

EDIT: Something like this

#3 ·
Dealer could be $500-$800. By yourself, $100 for the bearings and seals (OEM)
I would think it would be 500-800 at a dealership for both sides, but $100 will only buy you one side for parts alone. The bearings are about $60ish, the seals are another $8 a piece (you need 3 different ones) plus any other parts or tools you might need. So in total you'd need 2 bearings and 6 seals at the very least to do both rears.

Of course, you can buy aftermarket bearings to save money, but the track record for those hasn't really been great.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.