Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Rear Bearing Replacement Options

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Team Scream 
#1 ·
86k mi and the rear passenger bearing is getting annoyingly loud now. so while I wait to hear what my local shop is going to quote me, was wondering what the best option was. I've read that it should run $400-600 to replace it depending on the shop but I also read sea-scooby's post on another bearing thread that you can:

"Spend $80 on an 02-05 WRX knuckle/hub and swap it over. It is way cheaper and easier than messing with the bearing, which if it isn't packed right it will go bad fairly quickly."

Obviously if that's true, I'd like to save the coin and go with that route. If so, do I need to replace the driver side so they have the same specs on each side or is it the same/irrelevant?

Thoughts?

#2 ·
Quote was $380-550 depending on whether or not the hub needs to be replaced. He advised against swapping the knuckle and hub from WRX as he would charge me $120 in labor + whatever parts cost and then I am using used parts and it wouldnt be that much cheaper.

#3 ·
This thread is your friend here.

How To: Rear Wheel Bearing - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums

This is a fairly big job, but if you are at all mechanically inclined, you can do it in a day.

You definitely need a press, and a few special items that will make the job much easier.

Funny thing is, I just installed rear wheel bearings in my STi hubs today preparing for my 6 speed swap.

Parts will cost you about $90.00 per side (right wheel or left wheel).

If you were to do the bulk of the work, and get the hub removed, and have the parts in hand, as well as the entire first page of the link I posted above printed out, then take the hub, new parts and printed pages to a machine shop with a press, I bet you could get out of there for $50.00 cash and a 6 pack for the crew.

That method costs you $140.00 and a good portion of the day to get done.
If you were doing both sides (which you should), you would be looking at about 8-10 hours bell to bell your first time out.

This is the 2nd time I have done complete wheel bearings on a Subaru, but my best friend owns a machine shop, and I own just about every tool imaginable so I can bang it out in about 5 hours.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.