(All Years) Reading atf dipstick? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: turbotek tuned fxt
Transmission: 4eat sport shift
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Default Reading atf dipstick?

I am having some issues reading my atf level via the dipstick. It all started when I put in my b&m tranny cooler a couple weeks ago I did a drain and fill while I was in there. Between the cooler and the pan (and what spilled) I measured 4qts so that is how much I put back in. I waited till the next day to let it all drain out of the fill tube for a better reading.
So when its cold first thing in the morning it reads really high like above the hot full mark on the dipstick. So I did what the manual said which was a hot reading because its more accurate. I drove it a couple miles or so and checked it and it was on the full cold mark. I then drove it another 15 miles and checked it and it was on the low hot mark?I figured the added capacity of the tranny cooler was probly the issue so I bought another qt and dumped in 1/4 quart. and I am going to check it hot again tomorrow. Any one else have this kind of issues with the dipstick when its cold its high and when its hot its low?
nate_fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Well did some more reading and found that you must do the cold check with the engine running so that makes sense why it reads high. But I am still wondering why it reads low when hot and if other people have added extra fluid to compensate for the added size of the extra transmission cooler?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

I checked it today cold with the engine running its dead on the full cold mark maybe a little above. I then drove it running errands for 10 miles or so and checked it hot and its a little over the full hot mark maybe a little less then the distance of the low and full marks or a little over an 1/8 inch above the full, so its probably a 1/8 qt or so overfilled so it should be good to go I would think? What does every one think please I get a little anal and don't want to hurt anything with it being a little overfilled?

Last edited by nate_fisher; 04-04-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: XT
Transmission: AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Provided it was good and hot, parked on a level surface, did the "slowly select each gear position in turn" thing, then yes... I would be happy with that. They build in a little wiggle room as dipsticks are not an exact science.

-- Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline