Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

A question about my transmission troubles

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  guroove 
#1 ·
To start i drive an 04 Forester XT i have been having trouble with my transmission fluid i recently changed it and refilled it to hanes spec of 9.8 quarts but it reads well over full on the dipstick. I dont want to run with too little fluid but im really worried about transmission damage. Does anybody know what the correct amount is or is this is a sign of damage. Thanks

#2 ·
How much drained out? In general, every time you drain the transmission only a few quarts come out (that is pretty much how all auto transmissions are). My guess is something like 3-4 quarts came out and you put 9.6 back in! The transmission is ovefilled, and I would let some fluid out. The 4 spd is pretty hefty, so if you have driven on it, it probably is ok, just get the extra fluid out.

#3 ·
You need to start the car, drive around the block shifting through all the shift points, then while the car is running check the level. You might need to pull and wipe a couple times to get an accurate reading. There are multiple lines on the stick and you want it set for hot.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.