Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Please tell me if this sounds right

('03-'05) 
1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  fast51 
#1 ·
Ok so the AWD in my 4EAT works fine for the first few minutes then it goes to FWD after a 10 or so minute ride, this i know because it spins one front wheel at stop lights when the road is wet. Then if i shut the car off for a couple minutes it goes back to AWD and repeats the cycle all the while it has never shown any code or AT light. Well i had the dealership completely rebuild the transfer case (and it was pretty burnt) but still the same results. Today i took it back to the dealership and took a ride in it with the technician with his scanner hooked up and the transfer duty read fine. Then we noticed the rear tires were 1" bigger in circumference than the front tires, We're both thinking this is the problem. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
The tires were on it when i bought it, they're all Michelin but i didnt realize there were 3 different types, i'm putting a new set on but i was wanting to know if the different size could cause the transmission to cut off the rear drive after having the front and rear wheels rotate at different speeds for an extended time and then revert back to AWD after the car is shut off for a few minutes and then started back up.

#5 ·
It would absolutely cause chaos in your awd system, I am surprised the dealer that rebuilt your clutch pack didn't diagnose the cause of the problem to save you grief down the road. What may be happening is the clutch packs are overheating and slipping, then when you stop they cool down and start working normally again, eventually this wont happen and you will be rebuilding them again. Some damage may already be done, but it may still be ok. It would probably be a good idea to get your fluid changed and analyzed at this point.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.