Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

oil change....transmission fluid drained!

('06-'08) 
2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  adc 
#1 ·
Just got my car back from a shop where I had the oil changed. Noticed what looked like an oil slick. The shop called me saying they noticed there was an oil slick on the driveway at their shop and want me to bring the car back.

I can't drive it back... won't shift. I check and notice the oil slick is actually transmission fluid. What the heck? Just like that all of a sudden? The transmission fluid dipstick says there is no fluid in the car...

Can this happen that fast?? There doesn't seem to be any damage from what I can tell.

Thanks

#2 ·
They drained the transmission and filled up the engine. It actually happens more than you think to subaru's by people who don't know what they are doing. Sounds like they also forgot to put the plug back in too! Call them back, and make them tow the car in, change the oil (10Quarts of oil is way too much in the engine), and to change the transmission fluid, and that they are liable for any damage to the transmission.

The automatics are pretty hardy, so hopefully there won't be any damage!

#5 ·
I would actually want a independent 3rd party mechanic to look at it the same time they do and take any needed pictures to keep every one honest.

If they balk at this request it wouldn't even come off the tow truck if it were mine.

With the oil slick and the fact that it was driven there is a high probability for damage.

I highly suggest getting a knowledgeable 3rd party there to look at it at the same time.

#7 ·
Confession!

Surprisingly, the shop admitted fault! Turns out a new hire mistakened the
Transmission filter for the oil filter and forgot to reinstall the filter gasket.

I've had this happen on a Saturn years ago at a Walmart.
They refused to admit fault and wouldn't refund me the
Repair bill. I haven't stepped into a Walmart in eleven years.

We'll see how the car runs. I never drove it very far or very fast.

#8 ·
How do you forget a filter gasket that's attached to the filter. Or did they put the auto tranny filter back on there. One other thing.... the tranny filter is special. A genuine Subaru Auto tranny filter needs to go on there.

#9 ·
I didn't look to see what filter was on there. They are already on the hook if anything happens. I'm still amazed they admitted they screwed up!

I took the car for a spin onto the freeway. Sustained 75MPH risking the ire of Houston police! It did great!

There really needs to be big giant letters that say TRANSMISSION down there.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.