Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

noise from tranny in neutral.

('98-'00) 
2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have a really loud noise coming from my tranny when in neutral, but goes away when I press the clutch.. my mechanic said I need a tranny rebuild but I wanna get another opinion.. what do you guys think? it does seem to go away a little as the trannt get warm or after driving for 30 minutes..

#4 ·
Cool, I'll try the fluid change first then I'll go from there. Any gear oil you recomend? A couple of my friends digested it might be the pilot bearing or the throw out bearing.. anyone know if there's a step by step thread for changing it?

Could be main bearing on the main shaft inside the trans. They can get whiney after awhile. Try a fluid change, see if that helps quiet it down a bit... dirty fluid will make things seem noiser/rougher.

#5 ·
Subaru extra-s fluid is my Recc and you need a new clutch, the throw out bearing is likely toast... There are plenty of threads on changing the clutch on here and other forums, check youtube...ect..

It all gets replaced when doing a clutch kit, pilot/release bearing, clutch disc and pressure plate...

It comes down to weather you want to pull the motor or trans to do it..

Sent from the other side using mind bullets...(YapaTalk)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.