Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

New Clutch and Now....

('03-'05) 
1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Ntalsbn 
#1 ·
Well I did the smart thing and had the clutch and TO bearing replaced when the pilot bushing (bearing?) began to vocally fail. Now the new clutch has a very narrow engagement band, and really REALLY doesn't like "no throttle Downshifting" In addition the TO sounds like it is moaning while running along at low speeds in higher gears (ie; 45mph in 5th gear) My questions are, what may be wrong here? Am I being too sensitive and not allowing enough time for the new clutch to "bed in"? I'm feeling a little silly asking, but would like to know whether or not I should talk to the guy who did the work before I pile on too many more miles:tissue: Thanks all, in advance for the help:Banane14:

#2 ·
Hi , You'll notice a big difference in a new clutch if the old one was well worn . Narrower engagement band is normal . No manual car likes 'No throttle downshifting' but you get away with it better in some cars . If there is a high mileage on the car then the synchromesh cones in the gearbox could be well worn and this will add to the harshness . Try a driving style by giving a bit of throttle when you downshift to synchronise the speed of the layshaft and mainshaft . This will smooth out your downshifts .

#3 ·
Yep, lots of miles on everything, she just turned over 242K on the drive home tonight. As things get more miles everything seems to be smoothing out nicely. There is still some grumbling when I downshift, but it is going away slowly. My Dad has suggested, and I agree with his thinking, that I should probably replace the slave cylinder as well as the fluid. Anyone have thoughts or experience to share on this?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.