need help removing transmission - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2007, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: forester S
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default need help removing transmission

i need to know how to remove the transmission from my 1998 forester 5 speed, more-so i need to know how to get the front axles OUT of the transmission (they dont seem to just pop out like my fiero does, and also how the rear driveshaft comes out, as well as the shifter linkage.

i can remove bolts to get the unit to come down, but im not sure how to get those other items out.

PLEASE HELP

matthew
forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 01
Car Model: Forester Ltd
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

HI! Forester! the axles on the front and rear are held on by roll pins that are tapped out with a 3/16 inch punch, i believe that is the size, these slide off the short splined stubs on tranny.I not sure if they will slide right out without loosing the lower control arm or ball joint to get enough room to slide axle off tranny stubs. I can't remember were there is someone did this showing pictures , someone chime in or to search on this forum , other subaru forum , thats how i replaced my front axle and ball joint. Best Regards.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 98
Car Model: Forester

The driveshaft will just slide out of the transmission, but make sure you've drained the oil first.

The service manual recommends punching out that little roll pin to remove the shift linkage, but when I tried that I discovered the piece it held on was pretty much seized. I can't remember what exactly I disconnected on the shift linkage but it wasn't too hard.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Default Update

HI! To take axles out you don't need to drain tranny , on 98 mt5, i did mind a month ago .HaVE fun
Old 07-12-2007, 05:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECH MOD View Post
HI! To take axles out you don't need to drain tranny , on 98 mt5, i did mind a month ago .HaVE fun
thanks a bunch guys, my new (new to me) 33,000 mile tranny will be in tomorrow, so i need to get the old one out so i can start piecing this vehicle back together.

id love to put a larger exhaust on it while its out, but i dont see that happening anytime soon, i think the stockexhaust is less than 2" in diameter, its really pathetic.

im glad i didnt beat on the axles much, the roll pins are holding me up i guess.

i also broke the pinch bolt off in the drivers side hub, it holds the hub assembly to the control arm, im going to have to drill it out and use an easy out, DANG RUST!

matthew
Old 07-12-2007, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

HI! i was going to tell to try to heat up the bolts , hammer them a few times, i busted both pinch bolts , its royal pain to have to drill them out and itook quite while any many drill bits, i ended up drilling straight thru with a bigger bit , i then used s.s. bolt and nuts with anti-seize grease and also replaced the ball joints. Also with your exhaust you don,t want to go really any large then 2 1/4 inch or you will lose some lower end torque. I have 2-1/2 inch hi flow cat onto 2-1/2 stock wrx muffler with twin tip. Sounds nice with with some rumble. Hope you have success.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well the transmission is out, im going to try drilling the pinch bolt out and going with a nut/bolt like stated above

i ended up not having to remove the pinch bolts at all, GRRRR

i took the pins out of the axle stubs, moved the transmission over to one side as far as i could, then pulled the other axle out easily,then did the same for the other side, then pulled the transmission OUT the front of the car and up where the engine came out.

my new trans should be here tomorrow, now all i need to do is sell my ford explorer so i can pay the mechanic for the engine overhaul (and buy some gaskets so he can overhaul it properly)

matthew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline