Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

need clarification with transmission fluid 4at 09 model

12K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  POPPOPS 
#1 ·
I went to the dealer to get transmission oil to do my 1st partial drain and fill. I know I read somewhere here that I need the atf-hp, if i can recall correctly 06 up requires atf-hp.

so i mentioned that to the dealer and and the person in charge of parts, said no i just need the regular one (black bottle). he even got my VIN to verify that it is just the regular one. so i said ok and went home. I was not comfortable with the parts guy so I looked at the manual and there it is says i need the atf-hp ????

so what is it really??? atf-hp (silver bottle )or regular (black bottle)

i have the limited 09 model

thanks for any clarification anyone can provide !!

#7 ·
ok, so i went back to the dealer and showed them that the owners manual says i need atf-hp type for 4at 09 limited.

response from 2 dealers:

1st dealer: said they use the regular one (gl-5) for all automatic transmission and use atf-hp for manual only.

2nd dealer: said the same thing and said that there is a misprint on the owners manual. ????

for those of you that have done fill and drain which one did you use?

I want to be cautious about this coz the manual says wrong fluid can cause damage to transmission.

I will email subaru of america to get a definite answer to this and re post their respose.

Thanks.

#10 ·
5MT = 75w90GL5 gear oil

4EAT auto = Subaru ATF-HP (DIp stick / fill tube drivers side)
4EAT front diff = 75w90 GL5(dip stick / fill tube passenger side)

From the 2009 service manual

Recommended fluid:
SUBARU ATF HP

So you can show them. save/print the attachment below(It will be removed as I need the space).

Typo? I think not.

2005 and older DEXIII

2006 - 2009 4EAT automatics are speced as SUBARU ATF Type-HP

2010 - 2012(current manuals I have(owner and service) all spec the 4EAT as Subaru ATF

#12 ·
5MT = 75w90GL5 gear oil

4EAT auto = Subaru ATF-HP (DIp stick / fill tube drivers side)
4EAT front diff = 75w90 GL5(dip stick / fill tube passenger side)

From the service manual

Recommended fluid:
SUBARU ATF HP

So you can show them. save/print the attachment below(It will be removed as I need the space).

Typo? I think not.

Yea, Thanks a lot guys, and thanks for the pdf file i will bring this with me tomorrow when i get the oil exchanged.

#11 ·
ATF-hp for 4at confirmed !

k so I finally got a response from subaru of canada and the dealer is messed up !!

--- On Wed, 9/26/12, customercare <customercare@subaru.ca> wrote:

Subject: ROU - Technical inquiry
To:
Date: Wednesday, September 26, 2012, 1:22 PM

Thank you for contacting Subaru Canada, Inc.

The actual automatic transmission fluid would be ATF-type HP

The information is clearly stated in the owner's manual on page 11-20 to 11-22.

Richard Ouellette | Bilingual Consumer Support Representative, Customer Care/Service à la clientèle
1-800-894-4212 | Subaru Canada, Inc. | Subaru Canada
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
This email and any attachment(s) are private, confidential, subject to copyright, and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify me immediately by return email, delete this email, and do not copy, use or disclose it. Any such copying, use or disclosure may be a violation of Subaru Canada's legal rights. Emails might contain viruses, so please check any attachments for viruses before opening them. Because email may not be secure, please let me know if you do not wish to be contacted by unencrypted email in the future. This email is governed by Subaru Canada's privacy policy, which is available at Subaru Canada. Thank you for your cooperation.

Ce courrier électronique et toutes les pièces qui y sont jointes sont privés, confidentiels, sujets au droit d'auteur et pourraient être privilégiés. Si vous avez reçu ce courrier électronique par erreur, veuillez s'il vous plaît m'en aviser immédiatement par retour de courrier, supprimer ce courrier électronique, sans copier, utiliser ou divulguer son contenu. Une telle copie, utilisation ou divulgation pourrait constituer une violation des droits de Subaru Canada. Les courriers électroniques pourraient contenir des virus, alors veuillez vérifier toutes les pièces jointes avant de les ouvrir. Parce que le courrier électronique pourrait ne pas être sécurisé, veuillez m'indiquer si à l'avenir vous ne souhaitez pas être contacté par courrier électronique qui n'est pas chiffré. Ce courrier électronique est régi par la politique de confidentialité de Subaru Canada qui est disponible au site Subaru Canada. Merci de votre coopération.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 2:19 PM
To: customercare
Subject: Other

This email will Reply To:

Address: Alberta

current Subaru Owner: Yes

Vin:

Comments: need clarification on transmission fluid for 09 forester limited a/t. The owners manual says to use atf-hp (silver bottle)but when I got my oil from the dealer they gave me the gl-5(black bottle). Which is the correct oil to use in this??? I called another dealer and said the same thing and said there is a misprint on the owners manual and only use the atf-hp on manual transmission. can you make this clear. Thanks

permission for Subaru Canada : Yes

#13 ·
I just called Subaru and confirmed that the 4-speed automatic transmission uses the Subaru ATF, not the ATF-HP.
I have a 2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X and was told the factory fill was Subaru ATF.

My USA manual, page 12-9, says Subaru ATF or Idemitsu ATF-HP. Power steering is the same + Dexron III.

Here's a brochure about Subaru fluids, which makes things unclear:
http://www.subaru.com/content/downloads/pdf/parts_brochures/ChemicalsBrochure.pdf

SOA868V9240
Genuine Subaru Factory Fill
Automatic Transmission Fluid
and Power Steering Fluid*
To address the individual needs of
both an automatic transmission
and power steering system,
engineers have worked to provide
both superior shifting and steering
system characteristics in one fluid.
Recommended for use in all pre-2006
MY 4EAT Subaru vehicles, this unique
fluid contains an advanced additive
package that provides optimum shift
quality over a wide range of operating
conditions while maintaining superior
pump flow characteristics needed
by the power steering system in all
Subaru vehicles.
• Meets Subaru OEM specifications.
• Anti-wear additives help to protect
the transmission from copper
corrosion and excessive wear.
• Friction modifier additives maintain
a high viscosity index that allows
for smooth shifting and smooth
steering in temperature extremes.
• Anti-foaming additives maintain
peak power steering performance.
• Compatible with all automatic
transmission and power steering
internal seals and O-rings.
• 1 quart bottle

SOA868V9241
Genuine Subaru Factory Fill
Automatic Transmission Fluid HP
and Power Steering Fluid*
This new formula is specifically designed
for use in pre-2006 MY Subaru vehicle
5EAT, and all post-2006 MY and later
transmissions. Special friction modifiers
and other additives ensure stable,
precise operation over long periods
of use. It offers superior temperature
extreme fluidity for smoother shifting and
maintains proper fluid pressure in hot and
cold weather. Maintains superior pump
flow characteristics needed by the power
steering system in all Subaru vehicles.
• Meets Subaru OEM specifications
• 1 quart bottle

The dealer charged me $3.99 a quart (4qt) + labor for a drain and refill. I was very worried when I saw that they used SOA635003 (which is the regular Subaru ATF).

Can we settle this once and for all? The 4-speed automatic in our Forester's are ancient designs, it very well may be the case they are ok with the old fluid?

Another link I found on the topic: Drain fill on two Subaru's...one HWY, one CITY - Bob Is The Oil Guy

#15 · (Edited)
For my 2012, both my owner's manual and Mitchell repair information (which gets its' info from Subaru) specifies...
  • "Subaru Automatic Transmission Fluid" or
  • "Idemitsu Automatic Transmission Fluid HP"

My take on this: the Subaru HP version (not Idemitsu HP) can be used in the 5 speed (and other Subaru automatics) whereas the non-HP version is for all Subaru automatics except the 5 speed.
Roger

#20 ·
I have the same problem, I just bought a Forester second hand. The thing is, it's made in 2009 but a VIN search shows that it's the 2010 model year. The user manual calls for Subaru ATF-HP. Should I go with that or the ATF that is seemingly used from 2010 onwards?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.