Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

LSD in differential-closed unit?

('09-'13) 
2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX 
#1 ·
a little akward question, don't know how to explain it: is the limited slip differential and visco coupling a closed unit within drivetrain or not?
the main thing i ask is because i plan to change differential oil in my manual forester (2010, with 30.000miles) - oil in front diff and gearbox (one unit for oilchange, approx.1 gallon of oil) and oil in rear diff (approx 0.8 litres of oil).
plan is to use 75w90 oil for both, but i have seen some types of oil say "for vehicles that do not use limited slip system", i.e. motul gear 300 , motul motylgearand .
on the other hand , i have eneos premium multi gear and mobil 1 shc that do not have this warning.
all oils are 75w90 grade.

which one to use or i shouldn't worry since it doesn't matter (if those systems are closed units)?

#4 ·
The viscus center diff in the 5MT is a sealed unit, doesn't matter.

Front diff in the 5MT shares the same fluid as the transmission.

Front and rear diff are both open diffs. A LSD type action is simulated by the brakes.

Some say the synchros in the 5MT do a better job with oil that lacks friction modifiers, FWIW.

#6 ·
motul 300 would be better than mobil 1. mobil 1 was noisy in my rear diff, but plenty of people have good experience with it.

i actually liked shift action of cheap 75-90 dino oil in my 5mt better than synthetic (tried 75w90 Lubro-Moly made in Germany).

as for LS additives, I'm not sure of details of what they put in the oil. I would generally steer clear of them if possible. However, I have noticed that some companies seem to be changing oil lately and saying it is fine for GL5 (diff) and MT1 (trans) without warning to not use in LS applications.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.