User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: XS
Transmission: Automatic
Loud noise at 51MPH?

Hey guys, I have searched and can't find a thread that sounds exactly like my problem.I am new to Subaru in general so bear with me.I just bought a 2004 XS with 131K...has AT.When I am on the highway the car makes an extremely loud buzzing,scraping noise which starts at about 51 mph.The noise doesn't sound "rotational" in nature if that makes sense.It goes away at around 53.If you let off or press the gas pedal lightly it goes away instantly.Does not seem to do it when cruise in engaged. I put in the FWD fuse as a test and it makes no noise at all...car seems slightly quieter also.I am going to attempt to change the diff fluids today with Mobil1 synth. I have worked on my own stuff for years(BMW,Dodge,Ford SD,Harley)...I have never heard this kind of noise from a vehicle ever! What do you guys think?Drive shaft,rear diff,tranny or something totally off the wall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Transmission: 4EAT
Might it be similar to this? Not mechanical but it fools many into thinking it is. Windscreen noise at speed or during strong crosswinds *the noise is heard at the end of the video. Just a shot.

2008 2.5XS 4EAT
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 07:09 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 13
Car Model: Forester XT
Rear wheel bearing?

'05 XT 5 spd VF - SOLD
'13 XT Touring
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 07:18 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: FXT
Transmission: Auto(4eat?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galager View Post
Rear wheel bearing?
Doubt it, because when mine went it only got louder as you increased speed. It would never just go away at x speed.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by good dog View Post
Might it be similar to this? Not mechanical but it fools many into thinking it is. Windscreen noise at speed or during strong crosswinds *the noise is heard at the end of the video. Just a shot.
Nope ...nothing like this at all.Thanks for trying. Come on guys....I need help with this!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 04:46 AM
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Model: 2.5X
Any difference when the torque converter is locked at say 2100 rpm at 53 mph and when it is not at say 2450 rpm at 53 mph? Or how about you keep it in 3rd up to that speed?

Be careful what you wish for.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 04:48 AM
dpm
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: XC diesel
Transmission: 6mt
what tyres are fitted?

2009 SH XCdiesel 6MT
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 06:41 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester Diesel
Transmission: 6MT
buzzing, scraping noise

Some non-drivetrain suggestions...

1) Aerodynamic effect on a loose piece of plastic shielding e.g. plastic guards underneath. Once had a loose plastic shield contact the driveshaft intermittently, especially on corners. Caused by a misshapen new shield I'd fitted to replace the broken old one! Ended up having to trim the new one back.

2) Loose metal shield, eg heat shield somewhere?

3) Loose exhaust system or exhaust system component e.g. mount, resonator plate. Once had a loose exhaust set up an infernal buzzing at certain speeds/throttle positions/rpm. I checked the exhaust system myself for security, it seemed tight to me and was sure it was a resonator plate in the exhaust. But the dealer found the system loose, tightened things up properly and the noise never came back.

Pitrack_1
2010 Forester Diesel
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1967
Car Model: VW Beetle on E85
Transmission: 4MT
My money is on the rear diff. Change that oil and see what happens. I personally would keep Mobile 1 or Redline products as far away from a Subaru as geographically possible. If you want to use off the shelf products, stick to Valvoline.

Stan
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm View Post
what tyres are fitted?
They are Pirelli P4 four seasons 215/60R16. 8/32 tread on front and 5/32 on back.I just got 13mm diff socket in mail and will change diff fluid tonight.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Well, it seems that the noise was the right rear tire.I changed the rear diff fluid to Mobil 1.Made no difference, so I suspected the wheel bearing.I had a trans flush done at the local Subaru expert and they said all bearings and CV's were fine.Had a chance to buy another P4 with 9/32's tread on Ebay .Had it mounted and balanced this past weekend and the noise is totally gone! The old tire actually would not sit straight on the pavement and had a broken belt.The car now runs really great!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Bad news...the noise is back and worse! Do you guys think this could be some kind of diff mount issue...very loud buzzing!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 04:46 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: LL Bean (4EAT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr onetwo View Post
... just bought a 2004 XS with 131K...has AT... on the highway the car makes an extremely loud buzzing,scraping noise which starts at about 51 mph.The noise doesn't sound "rotational" in nature if that makes sense.It goes away at around 53.If you let off or press the gas pedal lightly it goes away instantly...
Perhaps the sound is occurring in the RPM range that is between 51-53 MPH in 4th gear.
Perhaps it is not noticed at the same RPM in lower gears because engine is not torqued the same way, and you pass through that RPM without spending enough time in it.
I am thinking the sound could be from the exhaust system -- pipe, shielding, converter, hangers, muffler.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Thanks for the reply.The car is going up on stands tomorrow and I am going to go over it with a fine tooth comb.I have to take a trip to NY in a couple of weeks and I am very nervous about it if I can't find the problem!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 06:50 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 13
Car Model: Forester XT
My rear wheel bearing would start to make noise at exactly 50 mph and go away mostly by 55 mph...it would not be present all the time. Did your Subaru expert drive the car?

'05 XT 5 spd VF - SOLD
'13 XT Touring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.