Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

lost 2nd gear...

('01-'02) 
3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  tallazzPilipino 
#1 ·
so, here's what happened...

was cruising by the mall (on mall property). there was a right loop at one of the corners of the lot that i was going about 10-15 mph on. i was in 1st trying to slide into 2nd. i noticed it feeling like it didn't slide all the way in. i shifted back to neutral before releasing clutch. tried for 2nd again, and same thing. third time, i tried to release the clutch slowly and it would grind. couldn't get into 2nd all the way home.

when i got home, i went around an area where there's hardly ever traffic with no buildings around. i kept taking these triangle shaped turns putting pressure on the shifter for 2nd gear. i got it to go in. out never would when i was going straight. however, it doesn't come out. with past cars, i've always been able to shift without using the clutch. i tried the same method, but only for getting it out of 2nd. it's super tight.

after being able to get it back into 2nd, i'm now able to use 2nd gear. however, it's just always a tight feeling like i'm wedging it in. i have to add force. getting out of 2nd requires 10x more force which i usually have to punch the shifter with my palm.

i've never had an issue with this tranny since i picked it up and installed it. never even a slight grind. it's so weird with the whole right turn thing. what's up with that?

i think i'm done taking chances on used trannies. i need to find a capable and experienced shop for subaru transmissions.

- '06 2.5i tranny

(Sent from my Android via Tapatalk)

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
it's just so odd how out of nowhere this happens with no previous issues or signs.

i'm not really trying to be careless with this tranny especially when i know i need my car for work. as i mentioned, it was on past vehicles (non-subaru), and even then it was more of knowing i could. my not clutching on this tranny was just to see if i could slide it out of 2nd on deceleration - into neutral, not into another gear. it's working for the other gears except 2nd - continues to grab even with engine off. another weird thing is how it's possible to get into 2nd on right turns. on left turns, it's a no go.

i just got back home from driving. when going straight, it sinks into 2nd pretty okay, but i still have to punch the shifter out of 2nd. also, it doesn't feel like it's fully in there. but when i'm releasing the clutch, it's not grinding.

on top of this, i just noticed some hater wrote on my car. ugh...

#5 ·
I've used the "matching speed" technique on many cars to shift. It is actually a good way to learn how to "feel" your car. I've done it for an extended period of time on a car that had a bad clutch. You really have to be in tune with how things work to do this well. But in the end, it's still harder on the tranny to do this than to use the clutch. It came on all of a sudden because your syncro, or gear, disintegrated. I can not explain the working when turning thing though.

#6 ·
Some other possibilites/ideas that are quick and don't cost much to check:

1) Is something obstructing the shifter, e.g. has a coin fallen down into somewhere it shouldn't?

2) Misaligned engines/trannies can cause difficult shifting and is the type of thing that can be affected by turning left/right. Aisual check of the the external linkages, trannie/engine alignment and engine mounts is quick and easy.

Good luck!

#8 · (Edited)
update:

i just couldn't accept that it was a syncro with no previous signs. plus, it didn't quite have the bad syncro feel to it that i'm used to. that with how it was able to slip into 2nd better when turning right than left. and how going into 2nd felt like forcing something into a wedge.

got up early this morning to swap something out, right quick. without all the details, this was the issue:

something shifted, bringing it closer. maybe finally after selling in. i had a spare set that i had previously modified for another tranny i had before:

what a MAJOR relief.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.