Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Launching?

(All Years) 
1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  stevenbratt 
#1 ·
Sorry if this has been covered before but what is the harm of launching our cars? 06FXT 5MT whats going to go first? the clutch the diffs something else? Any insight or direction to this topic would be great. I love my subie but I dont want to hurt her.
Thanks!

#2 ·
Depending on the condition of the clutch and brand, that will burn out pretty soon with some launches (assuming OEM clutch from 2006, and 90K miles, it might be very soon with launches). Next to go will probably be 2nd or 3rd gear -they will just shear off and you need a new gearbox (or build your broken one with racing gears).

The 5-speed manual in our cars was not designed to be a racing gearbox unlike the 6-speed in the STi. Launching it will break something important sooner or later. A "soft launch" (ie 2,000-3,000 RPMS) won't cause too much damage, but will contribute to clutch wear. Unless you are willing to pay for a clutch, and eventually a new gearbox, I wouldn't do it very often!

#3 ·
Thanks. approx 120,000 miles, and I think the clutch is starting to go.. The gears seem fine but I'm not sure if you can feel those going.. any suggestions on replacing the clutch. Dealer quoted around $600 independent shop $1200 because of a dual mass flywheel? Im not sure if the 06 xt's have these or not.. but my plan is run it till it goes and hope Im not in the middle of nowhere!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.