ok so a while back i put a short throw in my 98 forester from kartboy
including:
-kartboy shift lever
-kartboy front and rear stay bushings
-TIC pivot bushing
-kartboy shift know
-TIC trans cross member bushings
-group n trans and motor mounts
also less than i year ago i replaced the old stock Subaru shifter linkage bushing with a new factory Subaru one

so everything was fine for a few weeks then started to notice that i have a real bad rattle (almost knocking sound) from the shifter mainly in 2nd and 4th gear. really bad when engine is under load.

any one ever had this happen and know a way to fix it? or is just a price that i pay for having a short throw?

can get video of what its doing if it would help
thanks
-otto

See less See more
#2 ·
no, it shouldn't be doing that.

something sounds like it is too loose or even broken. probably have to disassemble some to check it out.

i've had a kb short shifter and front stay bushing for awhile now with no issues. i tried to put the rear one on but was not happy with fit on my car and liked the stock one better b/c it was lower. the snappy feel comes from replacing the rubber front one with the kb hard one. (the kb mounting holes on the rear one didn't line up well and the higher position pushes up on the stock rubber boot type parts more than looks reasonable to me.)

#6 ·
really bad sound changing with load sounds more like an internal trans problem.

i have a very lightweight shift knob and the shifter will make a little noise in at times. the bolt through the shifter is a little sensitive to not being over-tightened. it's not very noticeable, though. don't notice it with the radio on, talking, etc.

#9 ·
How's your shifter u-joint? I only have 120,000 and the bushings on mine are starting to crack (especially the one riveted in). At $45 or so it makes sense just to replace it. I looked into rebuilding it with aftermarket bushings but they wouldn't fit as tightly as stock. It is tricky removing, but it can be done carefully without removing transmission mounts, exhaust, etc. by using the correct size punches with socket extensions (to hold the punch handles next to trans mount to get the correct angle to remove). There is a pin inside a pin holding it on and you have to drive out each separately.

Whoever did the clutch should have paid attention and noticed if the shift linkage u-joint was loose.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.