Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

JDM Turbo Forester WIth Dual Range MOD HELP

('98-'00) 
4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX 
#1 ·
Hello there!

I have a JDM forester s/tb '00 year with standard engine and turbo.
It suposed has 240 hp with japanese specs. It boost 12 psi stock

Im using my forester for offroad sand dune climbing, with 275 60 15 tyres.
Because i use the ride for almost offroad, i need a lower ratio gear setup, so there are two options.

Easy Way
Sell my ride and buy a JDM ´00 S/20 aspirated dual range Forester (problem solved, but no turbo=no fun in sand)

Swap my 5MT Gearbox for a 5MT aspirated forester with dual range (1: 1.4xx) reduction ratio. (best of both worlds)

I know that the extra power can destroy the gearbox, but im planing to put a boost control and reduce the turbo it to around 2-4 psi when a low ratio gear is selected, and also take care with the gas pedal.

So, now there is the questions i have.

1. Is this mod be practical? can the trany resist the engine taking with care?
2. Apart from the gearbox, what other parts i need to finish the swap?

FYI it seems that the 5MT turbo has 4.44 final gear, and the NA 4.11

Any ideas?

My ride with 275 60 15

Thanks for the help

See less See more
#3 ·
The extra power wont destroy the trans, its crappy shifts that'll destroy the trans and thats of little concern with what you are doing...

Id swap in the dual range fozzy unit, you gotta have the matching rear diff to go with if you swap final drive ratios, so 4.11 stays with 4.11...

And yes, that thing is bad ***!!! Props

Sent from the other side using mind bullets...(YapaTalk)

#5 ·
I could not say, im sorry, ive honestly not even herd of a dual range box..

I do know however that these trans arent as weak as peopke make them out to be, most fail due to improper shifting...

Im not saying they DONT fail, im just saying for what you are doing it would be less likely as you'll usually be in low traction situations and slower speeds...ect

If your really concerned theres the option of adding RA spec gears, and or a 6spd swap...

Sent from the other side using mind bullets...(YapaTalk)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.