How do you change the auto transmission fluid on a 1998? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2007, 12:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default How do you change the auto transmission fluid on a 1998?

I have a 1998 Forester and I would like to start using AMSOIL synthetic in the car. However I would liek to do the changes myself. I know that the dealer supposedly has a machine that sucks all the oil out of the various areas of the transmission. IF you don't have that machine then they say when you do a change you can oly change like half or 75% of the oil.

So I guess I should buy mroe than I need and plan to do a few changes over a 2 month period....

I jsut need ot know exactly how to do it? I assume there is a drain bolt someplace (Not sure where) and I assume you refill the fluid using the port when the transmission dip stick is located.... Anybody offer suggestions and or pictures/write ups?
jasno999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2007, 04:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: dodge caravan
Transmission: auto
Gallery: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

I found this on the Toronto-subaru-club and did what he said to my wifes legacy and it works but a little costly

Quote:
I just thougth I would share my experience with my fellow Auto Tranny bretheren.

I just hit the point where the service manual said it was time to do the Auto Tranny and Diff Fluid change.

I was a bit hesitant to do it as I don't have the Auto Tranny flushing machine but after talking to the mechanics at Budds they said that they NEVER use the machine... they just drain as much as they can out and then top it up with new stuff.

(There are 11 quarts of fluid in the auto tranny but only 4 comes out at a time)

I didn't really like the idea of this since I wanted to switch to full synthetic for my tranny.....

I talked to a couple tranny shops that gave me a pretty good idea of how to do it without a machine.

What I did was drain out the 4Q at a time, and replacing that 4Q with my new fresh synthetic fluid. I did this 3 times.....

In between doing this I would run the car on the hoist with the car in Drive for about 15 min.

By the third change the fluid was pretty much the colour of the new stuff so I am confident that I did a pretty good job of getting a high ratio of new stuff to old stuff.

As for the front Diff, that is straightforward... just drain and fill. Same with the rear Diff.

The results were AMAZING. I definatly made the right choice in fluids as the car has NEVER performed as well. Shifts are much more solid and it really feels "peppier" as grip sure has improved.

I am also noticing my Tranny Fluid Temp is much lower as I put load on the car... this means that under load I am not breaking the fluid down as much as I was before.

The car is day to night now!

As for the fluids I used:

1) Tranny - Redline ATF D4 (12 Qts)
2) Front Diff - Redline 75W90NS
3) Rear Diff - Redline Shockproof Heavyweight

It wasn't a cheap endeavor as that case of ATF was a pretty penny and it took about half a day to do the 3 X drain and fill on the tranny as well as the diff fluids.

In my opinion though it was worth every penny as the car really hasn't performed this well even when new.

Something else I did a while ago but never really commented on was I added an external Auto Tranny Fluid Cooler. That made a nice difference with the old fluid... but now things are amazing that I am not sure if the cooler is all that necessary. Keeping in mind that the cooler was only $80 at Can Tire it is nice piece of mind.

Just thought I would share....

D.
1996 L Legacy AWD
GIT-R-DONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline