Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Gears not engaging - clutch problem?

('98-'00) 
17K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Aaron'z 2.5RS/WRX 
#1 ·
I got in my car just now started it up and tried to put it into first gear but the lever wouldn't shift in. I turned off the engine and it did go in. I depressed the clutch, started the engine and drove it up the drive, I changed up to second, but then the high/low gear lever popped out and wouldn't go back in.

I have had no warning of this. However, a read through the posts reveals that some people have seen smoke coming from their engine before they have a clutch issue. I have seen wisps of smoke (not burning clutch) occasionally when I stop at traffic lights, but on investigation couldn't find any cause. I have also done some heavy towing recently, so the clutch did take a bit of stick about a month ago, but has been fine since then.

All the other posts about clutch problems seem to involve the clutch not returning back up to it's idle position, but that's not my problem. I can push the clutch down and it will return back up. It just won't engage the gears.

It's too cold and dark to go outside now and investigate, but any thoughts as to where I should start would be most helpful. This is a disaster, it's curry night at the pub - I'm going to have to walk!!!

Thanks

Stumbler

2000 non-turbo Forester GLS

See less See more
#2 ·
Could very well be the clutch and/or throwout bearing (part of the clutch) that is not functioning properly.

If the gears seem to engage fine with the car off, thats a good indication that the clutch, when engine is moving, is not functioning as it should. One way to trully determine this, though it is dangerous so use total precaution, is to try starting it in 1st gear.

Car off, put in first, put clutch in, and attempt to crank it. If the car starts lurching and bucking (stop after 1 or 2 cranks) as you go to start, your clutch isnt disengaging and is the culprit here. If this is not the case, then it is a tranny issue... but since you explained it as being all gears when running, its probably a clutch issue.

#3 ·
Ummmm!

Well I read your post about dangerous procedures and, nicely beered up, I thought I'd try it...

The problem has disappeared! I'd never have known there was a problem. all gears engaged, high and low ratio box behaved, car drove as normal.

Somehow I don't think this will be a happy ending, but I'll continue this post when I've had her on a longer, more testing drive.

Many thanks

Stumbler

PS. do you think that beer is the answer?

#4 ·
Beer must be the answer! Hahah, probably not though.

If the clutch is having trouble engaging or disengaging, I'd suggest checking the hydraulic components. the Clutch slave cylinder on Subarus have a return spring on the inside that can wear out over time and eventually malfunction. Are you having any problems with the pedal not returning back up after you push it in as well?

#5 ·
I took the Foz for a good spin today and there is definitely something wrong, the high/low ratio lever pops out of the engaged position taking away any drive. I then have to slow down or stop to re-engage the high/low lever without crunching cogs.

The main gear lever and clutch worked perfectly as per normal.

I had this problem once before, but that was before the garage realized that the last mechanics to work on my car hadn't attached the gearbox to the car. As a result there was about four inches of movement. Re-attaching it by replacing the nuts solved the high/low disengaging problem, for about three months, till now.

??

#7 ·
Have you figured out what was wrong? I was told by one of my good friends that it was the throw out bearing. My symptoms are as above described by Mike. It just did this today at a light, stuttered, shook, then wouldn't go into gear. So I had it towed home. When the engine is on it doesn't go into gear, but with the engine off it goes into gear. And if I start it in first it moves forward as is to engage but cannot fully. Please help, I miss my car.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.