Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Front CV stuck in hub

('98-'00) 
1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Aaron's 2005 XS 
#1 ·
Replacing the front right CV and can not get it to come out of the front hub. Tried to knock it out with a punch and hammer and when that didnt work put a 2 jaw puller on it and it still wont release. Any ideas on how to get it free from the hub?

#2 ·
I have one stuck in our Outback now.. I am actually buying a used hub because there is no way its coming out without destroying the hub :(

I rented a press from Advanced Auto and broke it.... A buddy of mine that runs a subie shop said once they get stuck in there like that they just wont ever come out...

I really wanted the core charge back for the new axle I bought too! grr...

#6 ·
I had this problem today. Front left bearing. Broke a big 3 jaw puller. Got another one and used the blue tip wrench and a 4lb hammer and it finally started. It faught me right till the very end too. 1/2 impact on the puller and it would turn at all untill I hit the end of the puller a few times with the hammer, then it would turn a half turn or so and stop. A few more hits and it would turn another half turn. Over an hour later repeating this process and it was out.

A wire wheel on the grinder and a good amount of neverseize and reassembly was a smooth as butter. Saved the hub and cv shaft.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.