Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

FORESTER transmission question

('01-'02) 
4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  adc 
#1 · (Edited)
I need a used 2002 subaru forester automatic transmission for my car. The transmission # is:
TZ1A3ZC3AA
Does anyone know if there is a OIL filter on this transmission. I can't see if it has one due to the fact that the plastic undercover are all in the way.
Shouldn't the transmission # be enough to determine weather or not this transmission has a filter?

#2 ·
HEY! There welcome to the forum. You could of posted this in the Transmission section,for quicker results. Yes there is a transmission filter ,, but i no expert with the automatics. It looks like they recommend a Subaru OEM filter. If you doing this yourself you can read up on the procedure,, recommend replacing the ATF oil also . I guess you don't know when the tranny was last serviced??

#6 ·
Ive replaced the filter on my tranny several times without any problems.

If you do replace it, get the OEM Subaru filter, not a cheapo off of the internet. The cheepos are often engine oil filters with transmission written on them. They have a different flow rate that the OEM 4EAT filter.

#7 ·
I am buying a transmission for the car. Replacing the old one with a different one. I need to know if my cars transmission has an oil filter on it.
Car make: subaru
Model: forester
Year: 2002
Automatic Transmission # TZ1A3ZC3AA
Engine #: EJ251AXWAB
Does anyone know if this transmission has an oil filter on it?
Thank You!

#9 ·
It's mounted on the left side of the trans, and screws on horizontally. It looks EXACTLY like an oil filter. It is also visible with the under-tray in place. A common mistake with jiffy-lube type places is that they replace this filter during an oil change. The oil filer is behind a "door" in the under-tray. If you look under the car, you should be able to see it. BTW, my 98 did not have one, but my 99 did, so I think that is when Subby started adding them.

#15 ·
So i changed my filter and fluid on my 04 xt and filled to the recommended level 9.8 quarts but it reads way over full in the dipstick and i can't figure out whys. Any ideas?
You overfilled it by 5 quarts. Drain off 5 quarts...get the tranny hot and read it running with the. 8 oz shortr of a gallon will drain from the pan when the car is parked on the level. Do the math.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.