Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Forester E-4AT 4EAT Diff lock switch

('98-'00) 
11K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  camshaft 
#1 ·
Just purchase my first Forester after fixing my brothers recently purchased 2002 forester.

Was looking for some info:
Subaru Forester 2000, T/25 Grade - specs and pics at AMAYAMA.COM
E-4AT (7 position electronic control 4 speed full automatic)

Subaru Forester Archives: options and prices, Seattle

Just wanted to confirm that my 2000 Forester can accept the 4EAT Diff lock switch
As in the torquemada post(below) any car 88 + with out VDC is Vehicle Dynamics Control can install this.

Beyond that where can I find some info about recommended fluids for the drivetrain ?
Obviously the manual says something but a number of die hards recommend different fluids.
And I want to change them all

thanks in advance

4EAT Diff lock switch and Handbrake mod - "Torquemada Lite" - Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community: RS25.com
Synopsis:

Phase 1 - Install a switch that allows the user to bypass the 4-speed Automatic Transmission's (4EAT) AWD torque transfer logic in order to "lock" the system into a 50/50 torque split.
Phase 2 - Add a switch to momentarily deactivate the "lock" so that the handbrake may be used to lock the rear wheels without affecting the front wheels.
Edit - 3/7/09: Since I initially wrote this DIY, I've learned that the basic AWD design of the 4EAT transmission has been around (and mostly unchanged) since the 1987.5 model year and is in use to this day in the non-VDC cars. It was available across the entire Subaru lineup as well.
That means that this mod applies to basically any Legacy, Impreza, Forester, XT, Justy, Loyale, SVX, and possibly whatever else Subaru crammed the 4EAT into since 1987.5!! Obviously in the much older and much newer cars, testing is of paramount importance so that you assure the proper wire is getting spliced, but the basic structure is the same.
Happy modding!

See less See more
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.