Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: CVT
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Forester 2014 CVT reliability

Hi guys,

I am going to change my existing 2.5 L Subaru Forester 2004 with auto gearbox for a new 2.5 L Subaru Forester 2014 with CVT transmission.
However, I read lots of report regarding limited reliability of the CVT (both belt and chain driven), which life is much less than traditional auto.
My concern is that outside of Subaru's warranty (that is 3 years only) I could potentially have a serious problem with the CVT. I have to mention that with my current Forester I had no mechanical probs at all Any suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 04:42 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 10
Car Model: XT
Transmission: 4EAT
I have no data to back me up, but I have heard that Subaru's CVT transmission is one of the better ones out there. Given that they have now mated it to the turbo engine, they must have made it quite a bit stronger.

2010 Satin White Pearl FXT Limited
Mod Journal
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 03
Transmission: 5 MT
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
This is the 4th year of it being in the Outback and Legacy, and there are no major complaints or failures. There were a few the first year of production (but that is expected with any first year engine or transmission from any manufacturer). Of course, 4 years is still a small time for a car.

Honestly, a CVT shouldn't be any less reliable than a standard automatic transmission. People are conditioned to think about the CVT's of the 80's and 90's when ever they hear CVT, and judge all new CVT by what they were 20-30 years ago, which is crap. There has been drastic progress since the belt snapping CVT's of the 80's and 90's.

It's also worth noting that subaru actually has 30 years of experience with CVT transmission (more than any other car manufacturer). It started with the Justy in the US, and in Japan they continued to build CVT cars (usually Kei class cars) until they brought out the Outback and Legacy in 2010 for the US again.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 11:19 AM
The Seventh Sister
Administrator

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 70
Garage
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loscaldazar View Post
This is the 4th year of it being in the Outback and Legacy, and there are no major complaints or failures.
I thought it wasn't the same CVT that's going in the Forester?

-Silke
04 FXT PP PSM ~ "Subed"
98 Forester S ~ "Slynki"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
This is the 4th year of it being in the Outback and Legacy, and there are no major complaints or failures. There were a few the first year of production (but that is expected with any first year engine or transmission from any manufacturer). Of course, 4 years is still a small time for a car. ....
Arguable. Though Subaru has experience with CVTs going back basically 30 years. This is new territory for them, having CVTs in ~4,000lb cars. The vast majority of their CVT experience is in their smaller Kei class cars.

There was a recall/stop sale for a possible cracked oil cooler on the 1st gen cvt(2010) and there are a few who have had a reverse issue.
2011 OB CVT Reverse Power Problem - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

Recent video on Gen 4 CVT reverse issue - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

Can't say I have seen too many complaints on the 2nd gen CVT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiad7 View Post
Quote:
This is the 4th year of it being in the Outback and Legacy, and there are no major complaints or failures.
I thought it wasn't the same CVT that's going in the Forester?
1st GEN CVT 2010 - 2011 Outback/legacy
2nd GEN CVT 2012 - current CVT equipped models.

You can bet it will be getting the latest tweaks, and the first time being put behind the turbo charged FA20 and in a all new chassis. Call me old fashion or cautious, but too much NEW going on for me to be jumping for joy on a 2014.

The FB25 has not inspired me personally yet(oil consumption, chain tensioner knock and ECU programing issues CELs) and I don't feel the CVTs have racked up enough mileage or years to gain my trust in long term reliability.

His - 08 X Prem 5mt
Hers - 08 X 4EAT
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 10:42 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2002
2014 Forester CVT

Our 2002 Forester has 314,000+ miles on it with original engine & automatic transmission. Wer're going to replace it next month, the new 2014 looks great, but I'm nervous about the CVT.

Do the CVT Outbacks or other Subaru products have any records of getting over 200K miles on them?? When you do need the transmission oil changed, what is the cost and how often do you need to?

If the CVT fails, what is the cost of repair? A conventional automatic runs ~ $1750. But I've read CVT's can be $4K+.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 11:32 AM
New User

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT
I just got a 2014 Forester XT, I was doing some reading about the outback CVT I read there were issues with reverse power so I decided to try the same experiment others were trying. I backed up to a curb (a very normal one about 5" high), stopped then backed up over it. The rear wheels went over fine. I kept going and stopped when my front wheels were at the curb. I then tried to continue reversing to the entire vehicle would be up at the same level. To my horror, the car would NOT back the front wheels over the small curb. I even floored it, it just sat there. I tried turning on the X-Mode, no luck! Tried turning off the VSC, still no luck.

Can others reproduce the same results? Is this normal?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Admin

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielstevens View Post
Can others reproduce the same results? Is this normal?
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...ckward-232738/

'14 XT CVT is under rated.

I still do not understand why this is everyone's go-to test to see if a transmission is good or not...

2014 XT Touring
Ice Silver

My Fuelly
My Journal

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.