Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

First impression: ENEOS synthetic 75W90 GL5 Gear Oil

('09-'13) 
6K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Lone Ranger 
#1 ·
Put in the ENEOS gear oil today. Drained and filled manual transmission, drained and filled rear differential.

Drove around. It is said that you only get one chance to make a good first impression, and ENEOS succeeded. Shifting felt nice. Was it freer rolling? Nah, couldn't be from syn gear oil... probably wishful thinking :icon_wink:

Bottom line: Good stuff. Able to downshift into first from 20mph pretty nice.

Used a fluid transfer hand pump ($6) equipped with a clear tube to get it in the rear diff. This stuff is clear as water. No tint to it at all. Was like pumping thick viscous water into the diff, except for the strong smell of extreme pressure additives.

I would buy it again in a heart beat.

#2 ·
No one has responded, sad. I will.

Where did you get it? How much was it?

The best fluid I've run in the Subaru 5MT is Extra-S (just put it in the Forester, loved it in the old Outback). Butter smooth synchro engagement, much less crunchy than regular GL-5 75w-90 oils. The Lucas synthetic I was running before would give me rough shifts to 3rd when the tranny got warm on long trips. I'd be curious to see how this compares to Extra-S.

#3 ·
Got it from Z1 Motorsports online. 5 quarts $60 shipped. I suspect it to be a Group IV PAO synthetic. Because there is a hint of gear noise. I have noticed that. Before the change I had a slight whine in 4th from 40 - 45mph on Supertech 75W90 synthetic blend (Group II/III blend) that had 20,000 miles on it. That whine is still there unchanged and now there is a slight barely noticeable whine... not really whine but just very slight gear noise in all gears that wasn't there before. Every PolyAlphaOlefin base oil product I've ever used (previous cars), mostly as motor oil, has let slip more mechanical noise than conventional base oil or even Group III hydrocracked "synthetic."

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.