Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Exploded front diff, any other things damged?

('03-'05) 
4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Herrboots 
#1 ·
I just blew up the front diff on a 04 4eat XT Yes, cracked case fluid on the ground. It has 140k miles, and want to know what else might have been damaged when It goes in to a mechanic.
I had some whine for the last year, changed fluid just last week but saw nothing unusual on the magnet. then a hit the gas at an intersection and OUCH. I was 1/4 mile from the house so I limped it home.

Anyone have clue if anything else, other than the whole front diff, will need replaced?

Thanks

#4 ·
Thanks for the info, I hadn't found those in my search. The shop thinks they have a used 4.44 diff for an auto, hopefully it fits. Wish there was a good way to beef these diffs up. I assume they are all the same strength, haven't found any info to the contrary.

#7 ·
Looks like a great performance upgrade. I will consider it later, unfortunately it doesn't address the broken ring and pinion and subsequent shattered case. I like the idea of an upgraded differential carrier, just wish it fixed the weak link for the 4EAT.

I'm just spoiled with old cars where we just swap in heavier duty parts from a like model. Or have a huge aftermarket to choose from.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.