The end all auto to manual swap thread and 5 to 6 speed thread.. - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: FSXT / FSTI
Transmission: 6 MT
Garage
Feedback Score: 62 reviews
The end all auto to manual swap thread and 5 to 6 speed thread..

We need a spot for the information for this. Several people have done this and deserve to some spotlight.

The next few posts in this thread will contain who has performed the swap, what transmission they have(5 or 6 speed) and what is required for a 5 or 6 speed swap.

As bbottomley and I were discussing we also need to include the electricial aspects of this into the information.

If you have something to add please do and I will edit this into the correct post. Also, the list of who has the swaps will be in no order or when they were completed.

Here are the people who have went from auto to 5 speed.
1) hayd
2)

Here are the people who went from auto to 6 speeds
1)Team Scream
2)singincanary

Here are the people who went from a 5 speed to 6 speed.
1)VinnyD
2)rob
Good links to visit are

6 Speed swap? Cross member notes and pics

Manual Transmission FAQ

2007 Forester STI -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 XT Sport 4EAT -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Forester XT -Sold-

2010 Forester X -

Last edited by Tuned200; 08-10-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Auto to 5 speed items for a successful swap

2007 Forester STI -

2007 XT Sport 4EAT -

2006 Forester XT -Sold-

2010 Forester X -
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Auto to 6 speed items for a sucessful swap

2007 Forester STI -

2007 XT Sport 4EAT -

2006 Forester XT -Sold-

2010 Forester X -

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
5 speed to 6 speed items for a successful swap.

2007 Forester STI -

2007 XT Sport 4EAT -

2006 Forester XT -Sold-

2010 Forester X -
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS Premium
Transmission: MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Fill this out nicely with good links and I'll link it from the moderated DIY forum.

Please folks, keep this thread tight to the subject. We want it to be a reference work for future generations!

Me: 2003XS Premium MT ● She: 2016i Premium CVT ● Robin-Subaru Powered Generator
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Major electricial differences from auto to manual cars

2007 Forester STI -

2007 XT Sport 4EAT -

2006 Forester XT -Sold-

2010 Forester X -
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: '06 STi 6MT
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
since the forester is an impreza-based chassis there are MANY different ways to perform this swap, regardless if you are starting with an auto or 5 speed. in my opinion there are more factors involved in this swap than just "having 6 gears." do you want upgraded cross members, rear diff, brakes, 5x114 hubs? figuring that stuff out before hand will have a determining factor on what parts need to be sourced for the swap and a rough end cost.

it would also be helpful to distinguish the information between the SF and SG forester chassis. i have no experience with an SF and all my info is solely based on the SG. i'm sure a lot of it is pretty similar but for the new guy seeking information it should be more clear. like as in the 6 Speed swap? Cross member notes and pics thread, all the information i posted there was specific to my personal swap only. is it helpful? yes! is it the only way to do this swap? no.

so what kind of info would you like us to include in our posts here? list our combination of swap parts for others to see? or just a list of user names that someone can PM for info? i'm all for this thread, just wanting a little clarification i guess.

2004 FXT Stg2 6MT DCCDPro R180 5x114.3
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Rob
Forum Member

Car Year: 2002
Car Model: S
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
SF 5mt to STi 6mt
6 speed trans(duh)
04 STi 6mt axle stubs and axle seals(allows 05+ 6mts to use SF/early SG male style axles)
6mt shift linkage
6mt clutch, pressure plate, flywheel
Pull style clutch slave cylinder
Automatic Forester driveshaft
3.9 final drive rear diff

I reused my SF trans crossmember which already had the front spacers removed.
In terms of trans mount, I swapped the Group N unit I had on my 5mt over to the 6mt with no issue.
The only other piece I think to mention is that I also retained my SF speed sensor and all four stock axles.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
^Awesome info. This is basically what im looking for for this. A parts list of what is required and what people have added to make it easier/better.

What did you do for your wiring of the reverse lights?

2007 Forester STI -

2007 XT Sport 4EAT -

2006 Forester XT -Sold-

2010 Forester X -
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 04:43 AM
Rob
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned200 View Post
What did you do for your wiring of the reverse lights?
I didn't have to do anything wiring related. I did the trans install at the same time as the STi swap so it's possible that the preson who did my harness merge did something that he knew was necessary. I will check with him and let you know.

post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 08:36 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 07
Car Model: Forester XT
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Suggestion: Copy & Host all pictures on one single account. I've found a lot of older threads have great info then the pics are all X's since they were deleted randomly.
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
^Thats my plan, to host all photos on here and link them to pevent the red x problem.

I havent seen this swap but I would assume that the auto-manual swap would require different wiring. I did an auto-manual swap back when I was 16 and the reverse lights never worked since the woring was different. This may not be a problem for 5 to 6 speed swaps.

2007 Forester STI -

2007 XT Sport 4EAT -

2006 Forester XT -Sold-

2010 Forester X -
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 04:44 AM
Rob
Forum Member

Here is the response I got about the wiring from my harness guy:
"No difference in wiring with the 5spd other than swapping the transmission plug to the 6spd one. When I did this I also ran the DCCD wires into the car for you, but it isn't necessary. If someone had no interest in the DCCD they could unbolt the reverse lights and neutral position plug off the side of the transmission and put the plugs from the old transmission onto the new one."
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 02
Car Model: Foz
Transmission: 4eat
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
When I swapped the FSTi 6-speed into my 5MT '04 FXT I used the same parts as Rob for the most part.

-6-speed trans
-matching rear diff
-rear hubs
-axles
-STi specific clutch and flywheel
-STi shift linkage (upgraded to kartboy shortshifter)
-STi transmission mount (upgraded to Cusco)
-STi driveshaft (upgraded to Driveshaft Shop aluminum driveshaft)
-I used the STi rear diff carrier as it is 1 piece instead of the stock Foz which is 2 pieces. Not necessary, but I did it, along with the outrigger bushings.

I miss my turbo, and my 6-speeds of fun.
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 02
Car Model: Foz
Transmission: 4eat
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Here's a good thread on nabisco for auto-->5 speed in a wrx.

Converting your 4EAT to 5MT - NASIOC

I miss my turbo, and my 6-speeds of fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode