Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

E-brake opens center diff. mod??

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Duderotomy 
#1 ·
I remember a while back being on a legacy forum and reading about a mod you could do that told the computer to open the center diff (stopping power to the rear wheels) when you pulled the ebrake. this is a rally car technique because you can keep front wheels spinning while you lock up the rear to get it whipping in easier. i didnt do it to my legacy because it was automatic and didnt have much potential. anybody recognize his mod or have a link to it??

#5 · (Edited)
^only the automatics run the 90/10 split. The 5-speeds are supposed to be 50/50.
I'm not sure how an electronic modification would turn a regular viscous differential into something like DCCD, which actually has a built in circuit to go open when the e-brake is activated.

I believe you would need to install a Ver.4 STi DCCD center differential onto your car to have this function. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but the standard mechanical differentials don't have this feature. Subaru's rally cars use a DCCD setup.
A viscous differential won't go "open" when you ebrake since the difference in shaft speeds is what creates the whole viscous effect to begin with. Too much of this and you'll need to change your transmission fluid since it won't hold up to the abuse.

#6 · (Edited)
I believe you would need to install a Ver.4 STi DCCD center differential onto your car to have this function. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but the standard mechanical differentials don't have this feature. Subaru's rally cars use a DCCD setup.
You are correct.

This I know from being around the rally cars. Also, the e-brake only really comes into play at low speeds and/or exceptionally low grip. At higher speeds, a little lift just before turning in, and then a little brake during the turn is enough weight transfer to get the car to rotate.

#9 ·
^That would actually be quite simple to rig up using an inline fuse the same size as the AWD fuse requires and then wire it as a switch using the e-brake circuit.

The only difference is that the e-brake circuit uses a ground to complete the circuit where the AWD fuse may not necessarily work on simply a ground. You might need a secondary switch wired into things.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.