Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Drivetrain

('06-'08) 
2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  mainesub 
#1 ·
2006 Manual
106,000 miles

I had a wheel bearing replaced around 8 months ago and after having the tires rotated and going on a 1000 mile round trip Thanksgiving drive there is a noise emanating from the rear of the vehicle.

The noise sounds like, ugh, here we go:

"Woo woo wooo wooo" ... At speeds of ~ 35MPH.

The only thing I can compare it to is tuning a guitar - it sounds the dissonance you hear between two strings that are out of tune with each other.

Took it to Sears today where I had the bearings done and the rotation done, and they said to take it to Subaru because they think it is the drivetrain.

So, I am going to Subaru ASAP.

I guess my question is are there any alternatives to the drive train? Just wondering how screwed we are.

Thanks! :tissue:

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
My first thought was that it was tire noise due to the rotation (done at Sears), so I took it back there this morning.

They told me it is not normal to hear noise after a rotation, and then sent me off saying it was nothing to do with the tires or wheel bearings with the diagnosis of 'probably the drivetrain'.

I looked at it myself and the right rear (where I believe the noise to be coming from) has slight wear on the outside edge of the tire.

The noise dissipates as I increase speed. Edit: But does not go away

#7 ·
I don't see much wear on the tires to indicate if they are cupped, chopped, or feathered.

If any of those things happened to the tires are they considered significantly damaged and I should not expect the full life of the tire? They are 60k mile tires and they are 8 months old.

Finally, I wonder if it was indeed noise based on tire wear, why wouldn't Sears be able to diagnose it as such?

#8 ·
Do a little test... drive about the 35 it makes noise at, then veer left/right a little.. does the noise change any? Get louder/change going one way, seeminly stopping going the other?

This would indicate a wheel bearing... JUST because it was recently done, DOES NOT mean that it was done CORRECTLY...

I'm just saying this because Subarus are somewhat "finicky" about wheel bearings..

I just did one myself and I think it's bad, though it's made noise over 3 different sets of tires for me, so I'm just procrastinating on the work again...lol..

#9 ·
You can also check the bearing by jacking up the wheel in question and checking for play.

Try to move it by grabbing the wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock and try to move the wheel up and down.

If there is any play in the wheel, there is a good chance the bearing is toast.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.