Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Driven like a stick shift.... Question here

('01-'02) 
1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  sequoia14 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

i have a S/Turbo 01 Foz AT, which i drive like a manual trans. i want to know if there's any side effect or harm that is being done to the drive-train or engine if i continue this practice overtime?

BTW.

Foz has been modified to the following specs

02' bugeye WRX EJ20 Block,Rods,pistons,TD04L,bearings & TMIC w/BOV
Transmission Cooler
Denson 720cc Injectors
Walbro Fuel Pump
and Ecutek Tuned @ 18psi

#3 ·
It will wear the shifter mechanism a lot faster - it's not designed for systematic abuse (too much plastic, weak connections); that's not the transmission internals though, and can be rather easily replaced.

Beyond that, it will not do any extra damage compared to similarly aggressive driving in full auto mode (assuming you shift well and do not keep it in low gears all the time).

#4 · (Edited)
Thx for the replies.... All that is what I've though however person keep saying it wrecks the transmission more than anything else.....

I'm gonna change to a SG9 STI but have to waiting until I find one selling locally as importing is quite costly....

#5 ·
I can't see how it would dramatically reduce the life of a transmission to manually shift it. I doubt you even add that many shifts to the life of it doing it manually. I'd agree with Tau - I would think the shifter isn't really designed to be moved all the time though.

I bet you can't wait to get a Subaru with the CVT and paddle shifters (works much better, IMO).

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.