Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Drain plug question

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  adc 
#1 ·
I got a question.... How do you get the drain and fill plug out of a factory rear end? Looks like factory epoxy in the dam thing! Heat????

#2 ·
I've read where you don't want to drain it until you know for sure that the fill plug can be removed.

Members have had to lowered the Forester to use the weight on the flex handle or breaker bar to loosen the plug. :icon_eek:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

#5 ·
Back it up on ramps and use a breaker bar. Don't impact it. It is technically a 13mm square.

They don't use sealant. If you tighten it to say 30 ft. lbs it will take at least 100 ft lbs a week later to remove it.

#6 ·
its rather critical you use a 13mm drive tool and not a 1/2" breaker bar with no attached bit, it will round out the plugs.

remove the upper, fill plug first. If you get the drain plug out and can't get the fill plug out you can't get any gear oil in, and can't drive the car.

for a REALLY stubborn plug, heat the general area around the plugs with a gas torch for 30-45 seconds then hit just the plug with a can of compressed air upside down so it squirts out liquid co2. this will freeze the plug, causing it to contract rapidly and brake the bond to the aluminium plate.

#10 ·
its rather critical you use a 13mm drive tool and not a 1/2" breaker bar with no attached bit, it will round out the plugs.
I'm not saing you should use a 1/2" but if you don't impact it, the 1/2" won't round out the square in the plug. Slow hard pull with the vehicle up on ramps. I am 65 and weigh 140 and with a breaker bar irt wasn't that difficult. I have removed 2 on 2 new subarus.

#9 ·
Wow, that's really on there!

3/4 drive 24" ratchet with a reducer to 1/2 and used a little shim stock to take up the gap. Put the rachet on and then used a jack to lift the ratchet. It started to pick up the car then finally the plug gave way.
I was kinda bummed that after 140k and obviously no fluid change, the rear diff fluid came out in pretty good shape and not much metal dust on the magnet. Now it's good for the remainder of it's life!
What a PITA!

#12 ·
I used a 1/2 drive ratchet and lined up the ratchet so that I could get my hands around both the ratchet handle and around one of the lateral link so that I could simply start closing my hands together, and pull the ratchet towards the lateral link, and thus undo the drain plug. Worked like a charm!

#15 ·
Where can you buy 13mm diff socket? I went to autozone and sears no luck I searched internet and obviously dont know proper name and cannot find...

I have a 3/8 ratchet and bought the 1/2 adapter.. I have not tried using it yet but would like to buy the real deal if any one has a part number or link that sells em thanks

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.