43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester Touring
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm in it right now. The shudder from stop to go is terrible !

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: 2.0 XT
Transmission: yes
Garage
The Subaru dealers should keep a CVT Focus on the lot to let people try out when they come by to have their car looked at. Might save on some warranty work...

post #48 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 12:33 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Ok here's the secret. It surged, I reduced my throttle input. Done!

I already explained that this was just my experience in the one time I drove a 2.5. That should've served as a sufficient enough caveat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJoe View Post
If you "adapted" to the bucking by doing something else besides giving it more gas or waiting until it fully warmed up I would like to know what it was. Please tell us your secret, then all of the other fools like me (except for you) similarly limited in their basic driving ability and owning a CVT 2.5 would bless you for the knowledge you gained on your test drive.

Overall, this is rather a silly discussion. Why is this even an argument?

post #49 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJosh View Post
I think Dove_jj was referring to the sensitivity of the throttle on the 2.5i. When he said "surging" on initial acceleration, I took that to mean gas pedal is very touchy... lots of oomph when you first touch the gas.
Roger that Josh.
mahughesnh likes this.
post #50 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Admin

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dove_jj View Post
Roger that Josh.
It is worth noting, I had the same experience in my first test drive of the 2.5i.

I actually apologized to the salesman riding with me because I felt bad about the violent acceleration when I first touched the pedal.

Lifted 2014 XT Touring Ice Silver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #51 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: XT Manual
Transmission: 5 speed
I tested the 2014 N/A and the XT with CVT's. The CVT's are different but so are the engines. The XT had no driveability issues, the N/A had some.

I wonder if the smaller amount of low end torque combined with an auto trans without any manual shifter is the real problem?

When the auto tranny has manual overrides, we get to use our vision and brain to shift before needed, not just react to engine vacuum and other inputs.

Perhaps high engine torque minimizes problems, or at least gives the drivetrain more time to correct without lugging.

BTW, the Ford Focus does not have a CVT. It has a advanced DCT 6 speed auto trans but with a crappy program and no manual shift capability.

I am seeing a pattern here.
Any car with marginal low end torque, combined with any type of auto tranny without some sort of manual override, gives you problems.

The title "The CVT, Learn it and Love it" makes no sense to me.
You can adjust the throttle for some effect, giving up some performance you want.
You cannot "learn" more low end torque into the engine, or "learn" manual shifters onto the CVT.
Subaru should not have omitted the paddle shifters on certain models.

I prefer a manual, but I liked the XT with the 6/8 CVT much better than with the 4EAT.

2006 XT Manual, Cobb Stage1, Premier 205/55-16

Last edited by bashfulbernie; 11-22-2013 at 02:41 AM.
post #52 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Forum Member

Well said ...
Apparently as good as a Porsche PDK :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashfulbernie View Post
I prefer a manual, but I liked the XT with the CVT much better than with the 4EAT.
post #53 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Forum Member

Your right. I looked in the manual. I'm Naples with this thing for ten days. This is the worst car I have driven in a long time. The bucking when you accelerate from stopped is just incredible. I just believe they release this to the public and put the blue oval on it.
Give me my Subaru any day.

post #54 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 03
Car Model: Forester XS
Transmission: MT
1. MT
2. CVT
3. Auto

:)
post #55 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Model: 2.0 XT
Transmission: yes
Garage
Maybe it's suffering from some sort of rental abuse.

The only Kia I have ever been in was a rental that suffered a wheel bearing failure on the freeway with less than 10K on the odometer. We limped it to the nearest rental place, and swapped it for a Hyundai.

Hopefully they last longer than that most of the time.

post #56 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallv View Post
Maybe it's suffering from some sort of rental abuse.

The only Kia I have ever been in was a rental that suffered a wheel bearing failure on the freeway with less than 10K on the odometer. We limped it to the nearest rental place, and swapped it for a Hyundai.

Hopefully they last longer than that most of the time.
I hope that's the case here. There has to be an issue with it. While I'm not a ford man, I always thought they built a good product.
And without a taxpayer bailout too.

post #57 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 07:24 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5i Premium
I have slightly over 2200 miles on my 2014 CVT is still bucking even when engine warms up. Does Subaru have a fix for this?
post #58 of 319 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 03:53 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: manual
I am a manual owner with over 40 years of driving and have an 07 SG Forester XT manual with 246,000km and a 13 Mk7 Golf 90 TSI manual with 23,000km. The only two CVT cars I've driven are a Mitsubishi Lancer and a Subaru XV, both gutless 2L cars that my supposedly less powerful Golf would eat for breakfast (that's turbo torque for you) and with refinement, driving dynamics and quality build and materials. However, while being impressed with the smoothness of the CVT's they both still exhibited the same horrible characteristic of every torque converter automatic I've ever driven and hated - that surging excess rev effect when you put you foot down. And the CVT's were probably even worse. I guess I just really like that connected feeling that a manual gives and the enjoyment I get from the interactive play between the clutch and gearbox/change. When you get a good one (like the Forester) or an unbelievably brilliant one (like the Golf) then it makes any auto/CVT just so boring, suited for those who want smooth transport with less driver input. but I guess that's what most people want judging by sales here in Australia and in America. Thank god we still have European manufacturers and drivers.

07 Forester XT manual
13 VW Golf 90TSI manual
post #59 of 319 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 07:27 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzla View Post
I am a manual owner with over 40 years of driving and have an 07 SG Forester XT manual with 246,000km and a 13 Mk7 Golf 90 TSI manual with 23,000km. The only two CVT cars I've driven are a Mitsubishi Lancer and a Subaru XV, both gutless 2L cars that my supposedly less powerful Golf would eat for breakfast (that's turbo torque for you) and with refinement, driving dynamics and quality build and materials. However, while being impressed with the smoothness of the CVT's they both still exhibited the same horrible characteristic of every torque converter automatic I've ever driven and hated - that surging excess rev effect when you put you foot down. And the CVT's were probably even worse. I guess I just really like that connected feeling that a manual gives and the enjoyment I get from the interactive play between the clutch and gearbox/change. When you get a good one (like the Forester) or an unbelievably brilliant one (like the Golf) then it makes any auto/CVT just so boring, suited for those who want smooth transport with less driver input. but I guess that's what most people want judging by sales here in Australia and in America. Thank god we still have European manufacturers and drivers.
I also like that "connected feeling". At first I thought I needed to be steady with a throttle for torque converter to lockup. However, I found that, from stopped, it's better to push the throttle in fast until 2200RPM, let the car accelerate a little than pull back to around 1500RPM. Once you ease up on the throttle torque converter will lockup (as long as CVT has warmed up) and from now on you are "connected" for as long as you don't go crazy with the gas
post #60 of 319 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 07:49 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester2.5XPremMT
How does NA cvt handles roads which requires engine brake?
With MT , from Bodega bay to salt point SP on highway 1, 3rd gear can handle most (90%?)of the curve without brake. I know cvt has some kind of grade logic , but how effective is it?

-'10 Foz X Prem 5MT From SFBay -sold Dec 2 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode