LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #301 of 319 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 05:17 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester Premium
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My '17 Premium is my first CVT. I purchased it with the expectation of it being a solid, reliable, utilitarian vehicle. The CVT attracted me because of it's ability to optimized gas mileage. Living in a very rural area and being a frugal sort, I have developed driving habits that also optimizes my mpg. 90% of my driving is in rolling foothills/mountains, on State Routes where speeds are 60 mph or less. My conservative pedal foot and the CVT seemed to be nicely matched. No complaints.

After 1k break-in I have been manually calculating my mpg to see how accurate the vehicle readout is. Yesterday's math was 185 miles on 5.34 gallons, 34.6 mpg. Vehicle was estimating 35.3 mph. Now I am really getting to like the CVT, and the engine.

So put me into the "love it" column.

treeman, Fate, Alex.F and 5 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 319 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 12:39 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZX View Post
My '17 Premium is my first CVT. I purchased it with the expectation of it being a solid, reliable, utilitarian vehicle. The CVT attracted me because of it's ability to optimized gas mileage. Living in a very rural area and being a frugal sort, I have developed driving habits that also optimizes my mpg. 90% of my driving is in rolling foothills/mountains, on State Routes where speeds are 60 mph or less. My conservative pedal foot and the CVT seemed to be nicely matched. No complaints.

After 1k break-in I have been manually calculating my mpg to see how accurate the vehicle readout is. Yesterday's math was 185 miles on 5.34 gallons, 34.6 mpg. Vehicle was estimating 35.3 mph. Now I am really getting to like the CVT, and the engine.

So put me into the "love it" column.
My 17' Preemi gives me 25, ( I drive a max efficiency) up from 22 just after I got it. So you are saying mileage will go up after 1k break in ? Didn't know that ! Wonder why the dealer didn't tell me that.
So you dont have the unnerving 2-3 second delay when you push the accelerator to move front ?

post #303 of 319 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 05:19 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Premium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojabus View Post
So you dont have the unnerving 2-3 second delay when you push the accelerator to move front ?
No, if I apply soft, steady, increasing pressure to the pedal. It is different than any other AT I have experienced, but I quickly developed a feel for it. Four months and 6,500 miles, the driving experience is ....smoooth.
treeman and Fozzy_Edz like this.

post #304 of 319 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 05:26 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZX View Post
No, if I apply soft, steady, increasing pressure to the pedal. It is different than any other AT I have experienced, but I quickly developed a feel for it. Four months and 6,500 miles, the driving experience is ....smoooth.
Well its not like I slam on the gas either...As gentle as I press it it still takes a while.

So I took it to the dealer's yesterday who did a whole bunch of tests and gave a report and said wait for the break in period (1k?) and then bring it in

It is very sporadic, in the sense sometimes it kicks in immediately sometimes delayed.
post #305 of 319 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Model: SBM FXT-T ES
Transmission: TR690GBYCA
Quote:
Well its not like I slam on the gas either...As gentle as I press it it still takes a while.

So I took it to the dealer's yesterday who did a whole bunch of tests and gave a report and said wait for the break in period (1k?) and then bring it in

It is very sporadic, in the sense sometimes it kicks in immediately sometimes delayed.
If it were me I'd disconnect the battery's negative post, leave it off for an hour or so, then reconnect it securely. When ready to drive next... while keeping feet off the gas pedal... start engine and let it idle until revs drop then drive smoothly and normally until fully warmed up.

Some argue this does nothing productive. My experience disagrees. It will, however, mean you may have to redo some things, like radio channels, etc. On my '14 FXT (and others) I found it to change oddities of operation... such as you describe.

Other than the inconvenience there are no downsides to disconnecting the battery to reset things.
post #306 of 319 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 06:08 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate View Post
If it were me I'd disconnect the battery's negati

Other than the inconvenience there are no downsides to disconnecting the battery to reset things.
Haah..ok I will try that..I will try anything to alleviate that delay lol

dont they have a solution for that power reset thing yet ?? Cars these days have all the latest tech but not something which my alarm clock has...doesn't have be heavy duty either ..just for electronics...anyway my 10yr old son who is better n me at setting electronics will just have to do it all over again (which he enjoys - specially inputting bdays..which I find stupid-in a car...lol)
post #307 of 319 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 07:08 AM
Forum Member

ok this looks a bit more complex than my pilot lol..which one of the two cables to I need to remove (not very clear, I can repost if needed, there are two cables attached to the -ve)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-12-29 10.15.40.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	375530  
post #308 of 319 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 07:13 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Limited
Transmission: AT
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
ok this looks a bit more complex than my pilot lol..which one of the two cables to I need to remove (not very clear, I can repost if needed, there are two cables attached to the -ve)
You disconnect the bolt/nut circled in red:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #309 of 319 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 07:25 AM
Forum Member

aaarghh..that was so obvious...thanks for clarifying !

removed it, will report in a day or so..thanks again..and even if it doesn't solve I know what to try if something funky happens with the electronics...a reboot never hurts :)
Fate likes this.
post #310 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 04:59 AM
Forum Member

So disconnecting the battery didn't make a difference, (still a 2s pause after reversing)...just made my son mad he had to re-enter everything :) One thing surprising though - The superfluous birthday list remained saved...go figure !

post #311 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 05:30 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: VW Golf Sportwagon
Transmission: DSG
It will go away over time or be less obvious as time goes on, my 14 did it too then it was non existent.

Quote:
So disconnecting the battery didn't make a difference, (still a 2s pause after reversing)...just made my son mad he had to re-enter everything :) One thing surprising though - The superfluous birthday list remained saved...go figure !
post #312 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 07:07 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reardon View Post
It will go away over time or be less obvious as time goes on, my 14 did it too then it was non existent.
Good to know ! Thanks....the dealer also said to wait for the break-in period..so that's what I will do I guess
post #313 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 07:21 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: VW Golf Sportwagon
Transmission: DSG
Quote:
Good to know ! Thanks....the dealer also said to wait for the break-in period..so that's what I will do I guess
No problem, i found i had train myself to wait for it until one day it was just gone.
post #314 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 11:26 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i Prem
Hi All!

I am new here but not new to Subaru's or their CVT's. A Little build up first:
We've owned:
2005 Saab 92x Linear (really an Imprezza) with auto. No bearing here, just stating fatcs.
2013 XV Crosstrek 2.0i Limited with CVT.
2014 Imprezza Base model with CVT.
2016 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium with CVT.
2016 Imprezza Sport with CVT.

Due to family changes, we had to consolidate into one new car suddenly.

Traded the two 2016 for a 2017 Forester 2.5i Premium last October.

Since then the Forester has had this constant shuddering in the transmission. It always happens when you are holding a steady speed generally around 30 - 40 MPH or 60-70 MPH. At low speeds it's a small shudder, but at higher speeds it's sort of alarming. In the snow or ice it's damned terrifying. You think your skidding at some points but you are not.

I took it back to the dealer at 285 miles and they said it is operating as designed. Then the SA told me his wife's 2017 Forester 2.5i also does this behavior. He said put some miles on it before overreacting.

OK, so e have now over 5K miles and if anything it's gotten worse.. Hell, I even went back to the dealer and test drove another new Forester, the same as ours, and it acted the same way!

No it's not that it's a CVT and I am unused to them. I have never had any of the Subaru CVT transmissions act like this. But then I have never had a Forester before either.

Is any other 2017 Forester 2.5i drivers out there experiencing this issue?

Bill
post #315 of 319 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 10:42 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Touring 2.5
Not to the degree you are describing, but yes, my 2017 is jerky at low RPM, my 2015 did not have this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode