47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: XT
Transmission: AT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sure, you can hurt an engine with unsympathetic use of a manual gearbox. Let's not get carried away though. Using a modern synchromesh manual competently is not a big deal. With a few hours of training almost anyone can master the co-ordination of the controls, and it just takes a few more lessons with a decent instructor to gain enough mechanical sympathy not to break stuff. The problem may be significant in countries where people can get their driver training on an automatic and then buy a manual without ever having any manual-specific training. Over here if you want to drive a manual you have to pass the driving test in a manual.

-- Steve

MY2005 2.0 XT, 4EAT
MY2003 Seat Leon Cupra, 6MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: X Supercharged
Transmission: 4.11 5MT Swap
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Excellent post, Fate; this should be a sticky.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: cvt
Quote:
Originally Posted by dove_jj View Post
Well first off, not all users report this issue - just some do.
I bring this up because of those few, many have reported the problem disappearing or getting a whole lot better after 1k miles or so.
I think proper weightage should be given to the possibility of users being more consistent with their foot and learning to do that over time. It's hard for me to say this isn't a Subaru 'bug' but I would imagine user behavior is a significant factor.
And, IMO and my personal experience, you would be wrong about "user behavior" being a significant factor. It may get better with more miles on the odometer, but "user behavior" didn't have anything to do with the bucking improving.

If you didn't experience it yourself in your car how would you know, anyway?

EJ

post #19 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: 2.0 XT
Transmission: yes
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJoe View Post
A widely occurring tendency within the 2014 Forester CVT equipped models to surge and buck under light pedal until fully warmed (and not just to engine operating temperature, but more) is a defect in the vehicle, not in the driver.
Have you isolated this behaviour to the CVT? If so, how did you do it?
post #20 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester SportsXT AT
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I wasn't sold on cvt until I drove my moms new outback. It had plenty of pep and sipped gas like it was the finest Champange. Not bad.
post #21 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 12:37 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: CVT
The CVT in our Impreza sport is worlds better driving that the 4 hate in my FXT. Luckily the Impreza has the paddle shifters and once you spend a day or two messing with them the car becomes a flat out hoot to drive when you keep it in it happy power window. I've driven both the new 14 Forester and 14 Legacy and they are great smooth and don't make a lot of fuss when you get on it coming out of a corner.

The BMW 328 Demo I had for a few days was a turd that 8 speed trans sucks the life out of the car. Never in the right gear to put the power down and really pull out a corner. Sure flat out they are fast but unless it was in sport mode felt like the turbo wasn't there.

04 FXT RIP
His 2015 TRD Tacoma
Hers 2017 FXT
post #22 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallv View Post
Have you isolated this behaviour to the CVT? If so, how did you do it?
Pretty intuitive. For about first ten minutes of operation, even when engine has fully warmed, car bucks for first 10 minutes. Entire drive train fully warmed, bucking lessened.

One could (if you looked) also have noted the many other folks making the same observations already on this board, and the dealers telling them it was a "quirk" of the CVT, and "normal". I began searching myself on this board when I experienced the problem, and was gratified to find it wasn't just me.
post #23 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Forum Member

I wouldn't. Thats my point. I'm just saying it shouldnt be discounted altogether.

Also, while I didn't experience this in my car, I did test drive a 2.5 and it did tend to surge on initial acceleration. I had to adapt to it during the drive to make it more smooth.

Quote:
And, IMO and my personal experience, you would be wrong about "user behavior" being a significant factor. It may get better with more miles on the odometer, but "user behavior" didn't have anything to do with the bucking improving.

If you didn't experience it yourself in your car how would you know, anyway?

EJ
post #24 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester limited
Transmission: Auto
Eddie Joe, keep pushing the issue brother, there is an issue and I hope they will fix it. Everyone needs to keep reporting the problem so Subaru will keep working on it.
post #25 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 01:47 PM
The Seventh Sister
Administrator

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Garage
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by forester06x View Post
Excellent post, Fate; this should be a sticky.
LOL, it IS a sticky.

~ Silke ~
'04 FXT 4EAT PSM - "Subed Up"
'98 S 4EAT DBP - "Slynki"
post #26 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Limited
As someone who has endured the Subaru fanboy hate for posting that I have a "bucker" this thread offers moments of relief. I am happy with my 2014 Forester overall but still hoping there will be a cvt flash or something to fix this thing….
post #27 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 5MT
Love it? I barely tolerate automatics, and CVTs are a snoozefest.

I drive my car. I don't need it doing it for me. And CVTs are far from God's gift to automobiles, as some posts in this thread would seem to sound. It also makes it sound like most manual drivers are 15 year old girls. Manuals are more capable, more durable, simpler, and cheaper to fix.

For example, with a manual a dead battery will never bother you, nor will you ever be at the mercy of someone else for a jump. Just put it in first, turn the key to on, get the car going with a bit of a push, and pop the clutch.

2011 Impreza 2.5i
1999 Forester S
post #28 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Garage
Quote:
Pretty intuitive. For about first ten minutes of operation, even when engine has fully warmed, car bucks for first 10 minutes. Entire drive train fully warmed, bucking lessened.

One could (if you looked) also have noted the many other folks making the same observations already on this board, and the dealers telling them it was a "quirk" of the CVT, and "normal". I began searching myself on this board when I experienced the problem, and was gratified to find it wasn't just me.
You have some evidence, yes. A solid guess. But you haven't eliminated alternative explanations. For example, the fast idle warmup sequence could cause drivability problems. It could be the CVT -- say a cold TC causing it, but you speak with certainty with what is actually speculation.
post #29 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrewings View Post
For example, with a manual a dead battery will never bother you, nor will you ever be at the mercy of someone else for a jump. Just put it in first, turn the key to on, get the car going with a bit of a push, and pop the clutch.
I wonder if the HP electric fuel pump in the DI system would make bump starting this car more difficult.

If the XT had a manual option, I would have sprung for it, but given that didn't happen, the CVT/paddle-shift/SI-drive is a good alternative. I've never really liked traditional automatics -- even the modern 6+ speed varieties.

...except the 8-speed box in the Lexus IS-F. It is very nice.
post #30 of 319 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dove_jj View Post
I wouldn't. Thats my point. I'm just saying it shouldnt be discounted altogether.

Also, while I didn't experience this in my car, I did test drive a 2.5 and it did tend to surge on initial acceleration. I had to adapt to it during the drive to make it more smooth.
Uh huh. Well, me too, I just could push mine to about half throttle on a hill when the car was cold and/or exceed the 25 mph speed limit in my neighborhood, or put it into low range to increase the rpms with greater throttle pedal until the bucking was not evident. Point is, cold car, light throttle, in drive, it bucks. That's a defect, not a learning opportunity for your foot, assuming that an owner should expect to be able to operate the vehicle smoothly at low speed. If you "adapted" to the bucking by doing something else besides giving it more gas or waiting until it fully warmed up I would like to know what it was. Please tell us your secret, then all of the other fools like me (except for you) similarly limited in their basic driving ability and owning a CVT 2.5 would bless you for the knowledge you gained on your test drive.

Overall, this is rather a silly discussion. Why is this even an argument?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode