Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Cv axle question

('03-'05) 
3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  domoMKIV 
#1 ·
I had the car up on ramps today doing a periodic check and found the inner cv axle boot on the front passenger side to be ruptured/gone. Now the problem is that it has snowed twice in the past two weeks and I don't know how long it's been damaged. I have no noise to indicate a problem but should I replace the axle or just have it rebuilt?

#5 ·
There are a lot of threads suggesting to only buy reman axles from Subaru or MWE. If the grease looks relatively clean you'll probably be ok just re-booting.
I had to replace inner boots on my LGT and one on the FXT recently. It would have run me about $550 if I went with Subaru remans instead of just re-booting.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#10 ·
Had an interesting time with the DIY. i could not separate the axle from the spindle. ended up taking the axle and spindle to a shop and have then air hammered apart.

Over the past couple of weeks I had noticed oil on the drive way. The forester never ever dripped any oil. Recently having the head gaskets done, I figured it was that but couldn't actually see where it was leaking.

Before going out of town last week I happened to spot the oil leak. It's dripping off the transmission from we're the axle meets the transmission. Does this mean I don't have the axle pushed in enough?

Btw if anyone is suffering from radiator leaks, I bit the bullet and got a replacement from rockauto for $93 and it works really well.

#14 ·
Quick question guys: When replacing the boot, is there anyway to reuse the clips that hold the old one on? I've been looking through the dealer catalog on subarugenuineparts.com and have not been able to come up with a part # for those clips. the boot was $14, but the clips are not listed. Any ideas?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.